2013 SA Offer Thread Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Lasers

Gold

Re: 2013 SA Offer Thread

Post by Lasers » Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:10 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Patton Boggs DC no-offered at least one person this summer after telling her all summer that she was doing a great job and they were looking forward to having her back. The no-offer occurred by phone AFTER the final review on her last day. She received positive comments at the final review.

Don't go to Patton Boggs if you can help it.
That's definitely for an economic reason. Patton is in deep shit financially. Really sucks for your friend.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:27 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What's the reason firms delay so heartily in making offer decisions after SA? (like say 2-3 weeks after SA is done.) Is it honestly because the hiring committee just takes forever to get together? What else could it be? I've been waiting 2 solid weeks now with no sign of hearing anything (and now the earliest will be 3 more days from now.
It's probably that. Non-billable activities are generally last on a partner's priority list, so it's not at all unusual for these types of meetings to be delayed. For example, my associate evaluation was pushed back twice and ultimately occurred a month later than it was supposed to because of last-minute conflicts. It's doubtful that the partners want extra time to make their decision (they don't care that much about you).

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:43 pm

I'm expecting to hear from my summer firm about an offer soon. But I don't want to accept right away and want to explore some other options first.

If I get an offer, how do I politely go about explaining this without sounding like they're my back-up plan? I don't want to get on anyone's bad side but want to buy time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm expecting to hear from my summer firm about an offer soon. But I don't want to accept right away and want to explore some other options first.

If I get an offer, how do I politely go about explaining this without sounding like they're my back-up plan? I don't want to get on anyone's bad side but want to buy time.
The best answer is probably the most honest answer. I took three weeks to tell my firm (and I summered this summer), explaining that I had to talk to my husband and his family first given that the decision doesn't just affect me. Maybe you could also say that you like to take your time generally when making big decisions, but once you do make your mind, you are fully committed since you have thought about it. Just sound enthusiastic about the place.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:57 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I'm expecting to hear from my summer firm about an offer soon. But I don't want to accept right away and want to explore some other options first.

The best answer is probably the most honest answer. I took three weeks to tell my firm (and I summered this summer), explaining that I had to talk to my husband and his family first given that the decision doesn't just affect me. Maybe you could also say that you like to take your time generally when making big decisions, but once you do make your mind, you are fully committed since you have thought about it. Just sound enthusiastic about the place.
Thanks! This is a good answer. I wish I had a wife/husband to bring up, too.

Did your firm ask you how long you might need? Did they keep calling/contacting you during those 3 weeks?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Did your firm ask you how long you might need? Did they keep calling/contacting you during those 3 weeks?
Yes they did. They also asked for specifics, like what factors would affect my decision. I was contacted about a few days after I left by a senior associate I worked with a lot, offering to meet with me. She was traveling for work to the city that I am in now for school.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 12, 2013 5:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yes they did. They also asked for specifics, like what factors would affect my decision. I was contacted about a few days after I left by a senior associate I worked with a lot, offering to meet with me. She was traveling for work to the city that I am in now for school.
Thanks for the reply. If my decision partly hinges on my gf's plans, would you recommend that I be honest with the firm about that? She's probably going to end up on the opposite coast to the firm and the firm doesnt have an office in that location. Or should I be more vague and just talk about family circumstance bla bla?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:43 pm

1. Broad description of firm/market.
NorCal
2. If you had a mid-summer review, how many reviews did you have and how were they (e.g., all positive, all positive with one negative, etc.)? If you had any negative reviews, please describe them.
I don't remember, but all positive.
3. If you had any negative reviews, did you go meet with the attorneys that gave you the negative reviews? If possible, did you try to fix whatever made the reviews negative?
My reviews were positive overall.
4. If you had an exit review, how many new reviews did you have and how were they? Was there any indication that you'd be no-offered?
12-13ish. I was told to expect an offer.
5. Did you receive an offer? If not, did the firm give you a reason?
No. I asked why. They said they didn't want to discuss it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 7:58 pm

Hawaii

2. If you had a mid-summer review, how many reviews did you have and how were they (e.g., all positive, all positive with one negative, etc.)? If you had any negative reviews, please describe them.
One review. "It seems like the partners are giving you work - that's good."

3. If you had any negative reviews, did you go meet with the attorneys that gave you the negative reviews? If possible, did you try to fix whatever made the reviews negative?
Negative reviews on some assignments - met with attorneys and fixed them.

4. If you had an exit review, how many new reviews did you have and how were they? Was there any indication that you'd be no-offered?
Four reviews. Mild indication of no-offer by mention of my grade decline from top 15%/1L to top 40%/2L.

Yes

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 9:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:1. Broad description of firm/market.
NorCal
Sorry to hear - that is a really terrible response by the firm. How big was your SA class, and how big is the firm (e.g., midlaw/biglaw)?

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:02 pm

NorCal
this is downright disgusting and shameful. what a poor showing from that firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:20 pm

V25 firm, market is CA secondary.

About 4 reviews, which were all positive.

I didn't get any negative reviews, but I was confused by one comment so I followed up with my work coordinator the following day for clarification.

Exit interview just asked my opinion on various summer events, training exercise, etc.

Yes, I received an offer about one week after finishing my SA. I've spoken to most of my fellow SAs and we think 10/11 were offered.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 13, 2013 10:22 pm

Any news on Weil SA offers? Just wondering given their disclosure mid-summer about the layoffs

Edit: Apparently, 100% in NYC office per ATL
http://abovethelaw.com/2013/08/summer-a ... en-thread/

Wonder what the vibe there was nevertheless

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 1:13 am

DC

About 4, all positive

I didn't have any negative reviews. I didn't really get any feedback past the first couple assignments, just in the midterm and final evals.

I had about 6 new reviews, all positive.

5. Did you receive an offer?
Yes

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:14 am

Anonymous User wrote:
NorCal
Sorry to hear - that is a really terrible response by the firm. How big was your SA class, and how big is the firm (e.g., midlaw/biglaw)?
Biglaw. Disclosing the SA class size might identify them. I was pretty blindsided.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 12:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
NorCal
Biglaw. Disclosing the SA class size might identify them. I was pretty blindsided.
I'm sorry to hear that, I'm in a similar situation but I had one negative review for being an hour late on a marketing assignment, and the deadline was my own fault because I over promised by an hour and it took longer than expected (however the deadline was completely artificial). Everything else is like your situation but with a few more assignments. However, my firm is willing to talk about it so I'll see how that goes.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 7:23 pm

1. NYC V100
2. mid-summer review: of four assignments, one review was mediocre (from a notoriously demanding/difficult senior associate)
3. met promptly with that associate and she seemed very impressed that I sought her out-- work product wasn't bad but I rushed into the assignment and kind of went down the wrong path at first but assignment ultimately ended well (ftr)
4. 11 assignments altogether, with all remaining reviews being very positive
5. offer: yes

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 4:50 pm

Hate to be "that guy" but is anyone else facing two offers? I'm looking at a high end boutique and very good biglaw shop. All the name cachet is with the bigger firm but the day to day work is clearly much better at the boutique. I like the people at the boutique better too although I don't mingdthe biglaw folks. Add on top that they're in different markets.

Any others in a similar spot?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 5:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hate to be "that guy" but is anyone else facing two offers? I'm looking at a high end boutique and very good biglaw shop. All the name cachet is with the bigger firm but the day to day work is clearly much better at the boutique. I like the people at the boutique better too although I don't mingdthe biglaw folks. Add on top that they're in different markets.

Same position except substitute your boutique with a smaller (but still AmLaw 100) Big Law firm. I feel like I would enjoy working with people from the smaller firm more, but I would prob have better exit options at the larger firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 1:33 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hate to be "that guy" but is anyone else facing two offers? I'm looking at a high end boutique and very good biglaw shop. All the name cachet is with the bigger firm but the day to day work is clearly much better at the boutique. I like the people at the boutique better too although I don't mingdthe biglaw folks. Add on top that they're in different markets.

So you like the boutique better in every respect that will affect your daily life?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:

So you like the boutique better in every respect that will affect your daily life?
Yes, that's why I'm leaning toward the boutique. Just wanted to see how others were approaching their decisions.

Most of the associates at the boutique had several years of biglaw before joining. The ones who didn't all have prestigious clerkships. I won't be coming in with either of those credentials.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 6:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Yes, that's why I'm leaning toward the boutique. Just wanted to see how others were approaching their decisions.

Most of the associates at the boutique had several years of biglaw before joining. The ones who didn't all have prestigious clerkships. I won't be coming in with either of those credentials.
Don't be dumb. Those other people put in time in tougher environments to get to where you already are. Take the boutique. Start your life.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Similar boat here. Got my offer earlier this month, but wanting to change cities I've been interviewing and sending out resumes.
It's only been about two weeks, and I already feel (needlessly, I know) horrible and antsy, as I really liked the work and people at my summer firm. I told them that I needed more time to discuss with husband/family, and they haven't contacted me again thus far. I've done a couple good screeners and I'm waiting for CBs, but 3L hiring definitely does not move at the same pace as 2L hiring.

Any ideas on how to placate your summer firm while you're trying to trade? I definitely need until September.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Aug 17, 2013 4:59 pm

NorCal
No mid summer review. Told I could be more assertive with partners towards the end of the summer.
No negative reviews.
Not sure how many reviews, but all positive and two apparently very positive.
Yes. Told all reviews were positive so i got the job. When I looked confused they said "you do know how hard it is to get no-offered here, right?"

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”