Little things about the interview Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Little things about the interview

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:56 am

I'm worried about the little things in the upcoming interviews.

1. What do you call your interviewer if you know their name? For example. IF your interviewer is Lebron James, do you say "nice to meet you Mr. James" or "nice to meet you Lebron"?

2. what sort of folder or portfolio do you bring your materials in? any examples from Amazon?

3. I speak a lot with my hands, is that ok for these types of interviewers, or will it be distracting?

4. any other general tips on what to do (smile) or what not to do (make TOO much eye contact)?

Anonymous User

Re: Little things about the interview

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm worried about the little things in the upcoming interviews.

1. What do you call your interviewer if you know their name? For example. IF your interviewer is Lebron James, do you say "nice to meet you Mr. James" or "nice to meet you Lebron"?

2. what sort of folder or portfolio do you bring your materials in? any examples from Amazon?

3. I speak a lot with my hands, is that ok for these types of interviewers, or will it be distracting?

4. any other general tips on what to do (smile) or what not to do (make TOO much eye contact)?
Yesterday I had a screener at a firm I'm very interested in and was a bit surprised by how casual the interviewer was. The associate basically kicked his feet up on the desk, swore quite a few times, etc. Started the interview with, "what's up?" I don't remember if I actually said his name at the end when we shook hands, but it was either his first name or just a "thanks, nice to meet you." It would have felt weird to say Mr. X in that interview. Most older guys seems to prefer the Mr. X thing whereas I go by feel with the younger associates.

I had a padfolio that I got from my school's bookstore. Now that I've transferred, I need to get a new one. I'll probably be stopping at Staples or something. As long as it's plain and leather it should be just fine. No Velcro or zippers or other shit like that.

I talk a lot with my hands, too. I haven't gone through OCI yet so I can't say how good or bad it's going to play, but I'm not planning to shove my hands in my lap and sit like a statue... I'll avoid wild gesticulations but probably still talk with my hands a fair bit.

I try to smile, laugh, make eye contact, etc. They're looking for someone they want to work with and I know I wouldn't want to work with a guy that stares at the floor, speaks in monotone, and has zero sense of humor, and I assume most feel the same.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 27, 2013 7:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:I'm worried about the little things in the upcoming interviews.

1. Start with Mr. James, and they'll probably correct you and tell you to call them by their first name.

2. I bought one from my school bookstore the day of the interview with my school logo on it. Buy one of the professional, leather ones. Everyone else will have exactly the same thing.

3. Be yourself. Having said that, if you have really bad manners, you need to cut that shit out (i.e., talking when your mouth is full of food)

4. Be yourself and not creepy. No one can give you a formula. Try to feel comfortable and all of that little shit just flows, eye contact, jokes, etc. It sounds like you need to practice an interview or two, your OCS should be able to set some up for you. If you can't, just remember to be NORMAL. If you come off as normal and chill you'll be fine.

cinephile

Gold

Post by cinephile » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:27 am

1. Mr. James.

2. If you're carrying a tote or a briefcase or whatever, I don't think it hurts to just have a regular paper folder slipped in your work-appropriate tote bag.

3. Keep your hands still. I was told during moot court that it makes you seem less "serious" if you talk with your hands.

4. Smile a lot and make a normal amount of eye contact. If you're the type of person who plays with her hair or jewelry, make an extra effort to keep your hands still.[/quote]

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:32 am

Why are people not recommending first names?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Sat Jul 27, 2013 12:21 pm

Why are people not recommending first names?
I think it depends on the level of interviewer (partner vs new associate) and the general culture of that firm... so this answer covered it:
Yesterday I had a screener at a firm I'm very interested in and was a bit surprised by how casual the interviewer was. The associate basically kicked his feet up on the desk, swore quite a few times, etc. Started the interview with, "what's up?" I don't remember if I actually said his name at the end when we shook hands, but it was either his first name or just a "thanks, nice to meet you." It would have felt weird to say Mr. X in that interview. Most older guys seems to prefer the Mr. X thing whereas I go by feel with the younger associates.
Honestly though, is there really a situation where you absolutely have to call them by their name? Like why would you need to say "Nice to meet you, Mr. James" OR "Nice to meet you, Lebron" when you can just say "Nice to meet you!" ? I mean, they know you're talking to them. The only time I can maybe think of it is if you had multiple interviewers at the same time.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:16 pm

Even then, I think the only type of person I wouldn't call by first name is a judge. Exception for cold application emails.

Olive83

New

Post by Olive83 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 3:33 pm

1. First name. Always did this in my interviews when I was a student, and did it in a recent lateral one as well, and no one ever batted an eye. Also, I think it made people more comfortable and friendly. Caveat: this could differ geographically.

2. Just basic plain black leather. Staples or similar are great places to check out for that.

3. I speak with my hands. In interviews and with clients. You have to do what's natural to you. I find people who don't move their hands at all to be cold and stiff, personally. Hand movement makes you warmer and more casual, as long as they aren't flailing all over the place.

4. Be likeable. Smile and laugh. Make eye contact when you shake hands. Make some small talk. Did I say smile and laugh? Your academic credentials led them to believe you're smart enough to work there, so you don't have to prove that you're a hard worker or some genius. They want to know if they can pull an all nighter in the same room as you without ripping their hair out. Don't disregard basic manners and formalities, and prepare some basic answers very very well (so as to answer quickly and confidently and then move on to more small talk), but if they are joking a lot, let your guard down slightly and follow suit. The only thing to never, ever do is badmouth anything or anyone, even if it seems like it would go over well in the moment. It will leave a bad taste in the interviewer's mouth. Basically, relax and be fun but professional.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”