What do you do when law students email you at work? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Nightrunner

Platinum

Re: What do you do when law students email you at work?

Post by Nightrunner » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:08 pm

NinerFan wrote:
SBL wrote:Obviously the default answer is "do nothing," but I think it kinda depends. If work's slow and I get an email from a chill-and-sociable-sounding 3L, I'll probably respond. If I get an email from a 1L trying to feather the networking nest before OCI, that shit's getting deleted in a heartbeat.
How are 1L's supposed to learn about firms and practice areas before OCI if not by asking currently practicing attorneys?
By mindlessly repeating whatever they read on the internet, of course. Like a normal person.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:16 pm

NinerFan wrote:
SBL wrote:Obviously the default answer is "do nothing," but I think it kinda depends. If work's slow and I get an email from a chill-and-sociable-sounding 3L, I'll probably respond. If I get an email from a 1L trying to feather the networking nest before OCI, that shit's getting deleted in a heartbeat.
How are 1L's supposed to learn about firms and practice areas before OCI if not by asking currently practicing attorneys?
Just know it comes off poorly. Almost every attorney I know lols at and/or ignores emails from gunner 1Ls.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:23 pm

SBL wrote:
NinerFan wrote:
Just know it comes off poorly. Almost every attorney I know lols at and/or ignores emails from gunner 1Ls.
I've met with over 25 attorneys (pre-OCI) and every one of them has said they were impressed and when I asked for advice they said "keep doing what you're doing--showing interest early will put you ahead of most at OCI." A few (from v10 firms, mind you) have asked for my resume after the meeting.

I'd say around 5-10 attorneys have ignored my emails. Caveat: Most people I've emailed were alumni or I was referred to them by someone at a networking event.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
SBL wrote:
NinerFan wrote:
I've met with over 25 attorneys (pre-OCI) and every one of them has said they were impressed and when I asked for advice they said "keep doing what you're doing--showing interest early will put you ahead of most at OCI." A few (from v10 firms, mind you) have asked for my resume after the meeting.

I'd say around 5-10 attorneys have ignored my emails. Caveat: Most people I've emailed were alumni or I was referred to them by someone at a networking event.
I mean, YMMV, YOLO, pick your acronym. If you're having fun and getting results, then let your gunner freak flag fly by all means. I just don't respond well to that kind of attitude. An email from a 1L "just looking for information" feels disingenuous, whereas an email from a jobless 3L, if desperate, is at least honest and to the point.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:40 pm

IAFG wrote:
MoonDreamer wrote:
No just needs to convey some sort of non-desperation. I used to write those same formal and deferential emails. Now that I'm reading them, this is how I see it.
Through cunt-colored glasses?
This did not get even close to the appreciation it deserved

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous Associate

Bronze

Post by Anonymous Associate » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:41 pm

SBL wrote:I mean, YMMV, YOLO, pick your acronym. If you're having fun and getting results, then let your gunner freak flag fly by all means. I just don't respond well to that kind of attitude. An email from a 1L "just looking for information" feels disingenuous, whereas an email from a jobless 3L, if desperate, is at least honest and to the point.
Awesome phrase.

And I agree with everything else too.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:45 pm

SBL wrote:I mean, YMMV, YOLO, pick your acronym. If you're having fun and getting results, then let your gunner freak flag fly by all means. I just don't respond well to that kind of attitude. An email from a 1L "just looking for information" feels disingenuous, whereas an email from a jobless 3L, if desperate, is at least honest and to the point.
I get what you're saying, but I think the point is to be proactive and try to not end up fucked (i.e. prepare for OCI by reaching out to alums) rather than end up fucked and reach out due to desperation (i.e. email as a jobless 3L). It rubs you the wrong way but I think in general many attorneys respond fairly well to emails from rising 2Ls saying "I am interested in your firm and was wondering if you had time to tell me a bit about it."

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Fri Jul 26, 2013 4:48 pm

bk187 wrote:
I get what you're saying, but I think the point is to be proactive and try to not end up fucked (i.e. prepare for OCI by reaching out to alums) rather than end up fucked and reach out due to desperation (i.e. email as a jobless 3L). It rubs you the wrong way but I think in general many attorneys respond fairly well to emails from rising 2Ls saying "I am interested in your firm and was wondering if you had time to tell me a bit about it."
I think if you emailed a bunch of random alums as a 1L, you would get SBL's reaction. But if you target your email to the practice group that you are truly interested in and demonstrate that the interest isn't forced, I think you'll get much better results. It also helps a ton if you can get an introduction somehow. My cold emailing didn't always go so well. The wider net feels more appropriate in SBL's 3L situation.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:04 pm

Samara wrote:
bk187 wrote:
I think if you emailed a bunch of random alums as a 1L, you would get SBL's reaction. But if you target your email to the practice group that you are truly interested in and demonstrate that the interest isn't forced, I think you'll get much better results. It also helps a ton if you can get an introduction somehow. My cold emailing didn't always go so well. The wider net feels more appropriate in SBL's 3L situation.
I agree with this actually. I practice in a specialized field, and if a 1L who kinda knew what he was talking about reached out to me with what seemed like a sincere desire to get into that field and wanted pointers, I'd be happy to help. But if I was just in litigation or something I would find it probably phony.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Another

Bronze

Post by Another » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:19 pm

Last edited by Another on Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:25 pm

hopkins23 wrote:To OP: If you ever get laid off and need to reach out to fellow attorneys, I hope you get the same warm and fuzzy reception that you've given law students.
Dood ease up. When you are a really busy person getting 100+ sua sponte emails from random law students, you're gonna ignore most of them.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:30 pm

Samara wrote:The wider net feels more appropriate in SBL's 3L situation.
I think the dichotomy fails because rising 2Ls are potentially just as fucked as graduating 3Ls, they just don't know it yet. Whether people acknowledge it or not, rising 2Ls often are in a desperate situation.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:52 pm

I will just be amazed if a random law student ever e-mails me for advice.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:54 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:I will just be amazed if a random law student ever e-mails me for advice.
What's your email?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:55 pm

guano wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:I will just be amazed if a random law student ever e-mails me for advice.
What's your email?
You're not a law student.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Fri Jul 26, 2013 5:59 pm

Dood ease up. When you are a really busy person getting 100+ sua sponte emails from random law students, you're gonna ignore most of them.
Yeah but he's not just ignoring them, he's ignoring them, coming to TLS and posting "what do I do about all these weird ass desperate law students e-mailing me lol?"

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:37 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
guano wrote:
What's your email?
You're not a law student.
No. I wouldn't be random either
I was gonna give it to a random law student

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:38 pm

lolwat wrote:
Yeah but he's not just ignoring them, he's ignoring them, coming to TLS and posting "what do I do about all these weird ass desperate law students e-mailing me lol?"
Yeah fair point.

I definitely think people should pay it forward and try to help out a few law students who email you, but you can't save everyone and if I feel like I'm dealing with some gunner 1L who is blindly fishing for networking connections, I'm gonna ignore.

NinerFan

Bronze

Post by NinerFan » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:43 pm

SBL wrote:
hopkins23 wrote:To OP: If you ever get laid off and need to reach out to fellow attorneys, I hope you get the same warm and fuzzy reception that you've given law students.
The ignoring thing is fine. People are busy. You don't expect everyone or even most people to respond. I'm just surprised you and others feel like this is some sort of weird or negative thing to be doing. Your typical law student has no idea how to differentiate between firms or what it's really like to practice one field versus another.

I guess if interviews are just about are hearing the same cookie-cutter BS on websites, okay, but I'd think interest in a firm or practice area would seem more genuine if a student actually made the effort to reach out and learn what the hell it's actually about or like at a firm.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Fri Jul 26, 2013 6:51 pm

NinerFan wrote:
SBL wrote:
The ignoring thing is fine. People are busy. You don't expect everyone or even most people to respond. I'm just surprised you and others feel like this is some sort of weird or negative thing to be doing. Your typical law student has no idea how to differentiate between firms or what it's really like to practice one field versus another.

I guess if interviews are just about are hearing the same cookie-cutter BS on websites, okay, but I'd think interest in a firm or practice area would seem more genuine if a student actually made the effort to reach out and learn what the hell it's actually about or like at a firm.
It really depends on the email and the law student. 100% of the 1Ls I knew who sent general "HAY LETS NETWORK" emails were tools. Perhaps this is unfair, but if I got a similar email from a 1L, I'd just assume they were also a tool and blow them off. Now, if I got an email from a 1L saying "Hey, I noticed you practice in Field XYZ. I have this prior work experience that makes me interested in XYZ for Valid Reasons 1-3, and I was wondering about XYZ Practice in SBL's Market since I want to move there for Valid Reasons 1-3. Any advice you have would be totally appreciated," I would buy that kid lunch and give him a couple hours of my time.

MoonDreamer

Bronze

Post by MoonDreamer » Fri Jul 26, 2013 9:32 pm

SBL wrote:
NinerFan wrote:
SBL wrote:

It really depends on the email and the law student. 100% of the 1Ls I knew who sent general "HAY LETS NETWORK" emails were tools. Perhaps this is unfair, but if I got a similar email from a 1L, I'd just assume they were also a tool and blow them off. Now, if I got an email from a 1L saying "Hey, I noticed you practice in Field XYZ. I have this prior work experience that makes me interested in XYZ for Valid Reasons 1-3, and I was wondering about XYZ Practice in SBL's Market since I want to move there for Valid Reasons 1-3. Any advice you have would be totally appreciated," I would buy that kid lunch and give him a couple hours of my time.
I got one email like that and I talked to the guy. Forwarded his resume to a partner at a different firm.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Another

Bronze

Post by Another » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:55 am

Last edited by Another on Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MoonDreamer

Bronze

Post by MoonDreamer » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:54 pm

hopkins23 wrote:Not saying you can't ignore 1L folks that email you, but there's no reason to knock the hustle.

We've all got our crosses to bear; and just because someone sends you a "desperate" email doesn't mean you need to judge them and post on TLS about "Woe unto me. My life is so hard dealing with these emails!"
I never said anything resembling "woe unto me. my life is so hard dealing with these emails!"

dr123

Gold

Post by dr123 » Sat Jul 27, 2013 1:56 pm

I think this thread is actually a humblebrag

MoonDreamer

Bronze

Post by MoonDreamer » Sat Jul 27, 2013 6:59 pm

dr123 wrote:I think this thread is actually a humblebrag
Not on my part.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”