Submit transcript or just resume? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Submit transcript or just resume?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 19, 2013 3:42 am

My 1L GPA is terrible. B's and C's, with only an A (and A+) in Legal Writing. Currently externing for BK Judge and I love it.

BUUUUTT... I'm terrified about having a job in two years. Horrified. Enough so that I would chew off my own arm if it would guarantee a job that utilized my JD. Unfortunately, I can't do that and have to go the more painful route of OCI and Mass Mailing.

My dilemma: Some mid-law firms, whose BK departments interest me, have online apps for SA positions and those apps only require a resume and cover letter, but they allow for transcript and writing sample as well.

As stated above, I am working for a BK judge in the location I want to practice, so that looks helpful in terms of my resume. Also, my writing sample received an A+ grade, so it's definitely a strong point of any application I submit. But, like I said, my GPA is terrible.

Would mid-law firms even look at me as a potential candidate if I did not submit my transcript, but only my Cover Letter, Resume, and Writing Sample??? I'm great at interviews, but right now I'm just desperate to even get a second glance, much less an interview.

Anyone have any thoughts? Personal Experiences?

Anonymous User

Re: Submit transcript or just resume?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 19, 2013 4:05 am

Probably no use hiding from it. Either employers are going to fear the worse, and not give you a second look, or they are going to not bother to communicate, since all those who did send a transcript made it easier for them (generally a buyers market). Play up your good grades including your legal writing class.

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”