Transferring your summer associate offer to another office Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Transferring your summer associate offer to another office

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 19, 2013 2:59 am

I know this is different for every firm. But would like to hear stories/experience/advice. Basically, I really love my firm and want to accept their offer, should they make one (which they've been generous in reassuring us about). But, I have had some really significant personal traumas in the city of this office just prior to and over the summer. I'd get over it if I had to and would accept the offer to this office if that was all they could do, but I'd like to at least raise the subject of them considering whether I could fit in another office. I have heard they might be down by an associate or two in the department I want in the office I want.

So general thoughts and advice welcome. And who should I approach? The recruiting coordinator for my office? The summer program partner in my current office? Either way, it's an awkward and delicate conversation that, no matter the personal traumas and my assurance that I've loved them and want to be there overall, it has to sound like I basically don't like them well enough. Which isn't true at all. I just wish they were located in a different city.

I'll get over the summer shittiness in this city by next year if it's my only choice, and I'm sure it would work out! But I can't resist trying to pursue an office in a better city for me and one where I think I would stay longer, so maybe in the firms best interests. Thoughts?

Sup Kid

Silver

Re: Transferring your summer associate offer to another office

Post by Sup Kid » Fri Jul 19, 2013 9:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I know this is different for every firm. But would like to hear stories/experience/advice. Basically, I really love my firm and want to accept their offer, should they make one (which they've been generous in reassuring us about). But, I have had some really significant personal traumas in the city of this office just prior to and over the summer. I'd get over it if I had to and would accept the offer to this office if that was all they could do, but I'd like to at least raise the subject of them considering whether I could fit in another office. I have heard they might be down by an associate or two in the department I want in the office I want.

So general thoughts and advice welcome. And who should I approach? The recruiting coordinator for my office? The summer program partner in my current office? Either way, it's an awkward and delicate conversation that, no matter the personal traumas and my assurance that I've loved them and want to be there overall, it has to sound like I basically don't like them well enough. Which isn't true at all. I just wish they were located in a different city.

I'll get over the summer shittiness in this city by next year if it's my only choice, and I'm sure it would work out! But I can't resist trying to pursue an office in a better city for me and one where I think I would stay longer, so maybe in the firms best interests. Thoughts?
Most likely you will receive an offer from the hiring partner (or some other partner), maybe with the recruiting coordinator. If you're going to accept regardless of office, accept the offer (on the spot or very soon after). Then, AFTER ACCEPTING, talk with the recruiting coordinator about the possibility. Say you'd be happy to stay, but wanted to see if it was even an option. The coordinator will tell you your next steps if its an option (and if its not, most likely the partners will never know you asked).

homestyle28

Gold

Post by homestyle28 » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:53 pm

Ask your recruiting coordinator or Jr. Associate mentor. At lots of big global firms people transfer offices all the time. It'll probably come down to what practice group you want to join and if there is a need in that group at your desired location. I know at least one summer at my firm last year who summered in City A but accepted offer into City B. He/She told the hiring partner about their desire pretty early in the summer.

shecallingme

New

Post by shecallingme » Mon Apr 20, 2015 5:21 pm

Does anyone think its too late in the game to try this? I'll begin studying for the bar in my current state in a month. I've already paid the registration fees and submitted the application and my firm has already been billed for my bar study course.

How do you think the firm will respond? Do I risk a simple no or blowing my future there?

DildaMan

Bronze

Post by DildaMan » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:07 pm

shecallingme wrote:
Does anyone think its too late in the game to try this? I'll begin studying for the bar in my current state in a month. I've already paid the registration fees and submitted the application and my firm has already been billed for my bar study course.

How do you think the firm will respond? Do I risk a simple no or blowing my future there?
The associate next to me did this. She started in NY and asked to transfer to CA. There was a need at her desired office and they agreed to let her move contingent on: (1) spending her first year in NY; (2) switching practice groups; and (3) passing the bar in the other state within a year.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:30 pm

After getting a clerkship mid-summer, I told my firm that I wanted to move offices. Got no-offered. :lol:

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Mon Apr 20, 2015 6:51 pm

This totally depends on what firm you work at and what offices you're trying to transfer between. Your best bet is to ask someone you trust.

BlackAndOrange84

Bronze

Post by BlackAndOrange84 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 7:03 pm

Sup Kid wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I know this is different for every firm. But would like to hear stories/experience/advice. Basically, I really love my firm and want to accept their offer, should they make one (which they've been generous in reassuring us about). But, I have had some really significant personal traumas in the city of this office just prior to and over the summer. I'd get over it if I had to and would accept the offer to this office if that was all they could do, but I'd like to at least raise the subject of them considering whether I could fit in another office. I have heard they might be down by an associate or two in the department I want in the office I want.

Most likely you will receive an offer from the hiring partner (or some other partner), maybe with the recruiting coordinator. If you're going to accept regardless of office, accept the offer (on the spot or very soon after). Then, AFTER ACCEPTING, talk with the recruiting coordinator about the possibility. Say you'd be happy to stay, but wanted to see if it was even an option. The coordinator will tell you your next steps if its an option (and if its not, most likely the partners will never know you asked).
I think this is the credited response. I'd be very careful in how I approach this. If you're going to bring it up with anyone beforehand, only do it with someone you genuinely trust and just bring it up as a possibility or something you've wondered about.

doctoroflaw91

Bronze

Post by doctoroflaw91 » Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:59 pm

Tag. Also curious about this. Would be looking to go from a smaller market to a bigger one.

whatsEwingdoing

New

Post by whatsEwingdoing » Sun May 03, 2015 11:56 am

I'm also curious about how a situation like that would play out. I mean, don't get me wrong, if I end up getting an offer for my 2L SA position this summer I'm planting roots and sticking put no matter what. When it comes down to it, just getting the 2L SA spot is a gift. Factor in that the job market is poor, and (presumably) everyone on this thread is in oodles of debt, the law firms have all the leverage. :shock:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”