Rising 3L Advice Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
jckrbbtslmz

New

Rising 3L Advice

Post by jckrbbtslmz » Wed Jul 17, 2013 3:42 pm

I go to a top 100 school (which has plunged in recent years). I am around the 50% median. Have a B average. Write for the school journal. Won an advocacy award for moot court. Am very low on $, though. I have a pretty decent resume so far (clerked for a year before law school, spent 1L summer working full time at a mortgage company, was a research assistant, did clinic for a semester, had good jobs for several years between college and law school in hospital administration). I also have good 3L prospects (a couple interviews I'm waiting to hear back from the in fall, a spring Semester in DC clerkship that is unpaid with a DC government office). Here's the catch: I found out in December of 2L that I had a brain tumor so I've been fighting that (basically back to normal now) while going to classes. The events leading up to being this sick (and after) put a crimp in my second summer job hunt. I spent the first month as a research assistant and an unpaid intern at the county solicitors, then had to go to the hospital, then worked as a paralegal doing grunt work at a medium size firm (a big firm in my home state, an attorney staffer got it for me who is well known and liked throughout town), and am leaving to go out of state to spend all of August as a summer associate at my friend's firm that he just started. I come from a small city and have three uncles (one has a medium sized firm) and an aunt (big law associate) and many random connections who practice in town. I'm wondering what my strategy should be as I approach 3L in regards to job hunting?

rad lulz

Platinum

Re: Rising 3L Advice

Post by rad lulz » Wed Jul 17, 2013 4:13 pm

Same as everyone else

Apply for clerkships, 3LOLCI, mass mail, networking, symplicity, ask CSO, law clerk for a firm or govt. during the year

You seem like you have a decent network already so hit that hard

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”