Dress code (female) for networking/screeners/lunch Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Dress code (female) for networking/screeners/lunch

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:08 am

A few attorneys in the market I'm hoping to work in (west coast) were nice enough to agree to meet up with me while I'm in town, but I'm not sure if I should be sticking to business casual (e.g. black pants, flats, and a nice top) or err on the side of caution and just go all out in a skirt suit (silk blouse, pantyhose, heels, and all).

Any advice on the following scenarios?

-Coffee outside the office
-Lunch outside the office
-"Meeting" inside the office (with a request for transcript, resume, and cover letter beforehand, so maybe a screener?)
-"Meeting" inside the office (with no request for any materials beforehand)

Skirt suit for anything in the office, and business casual for anything outside...or just stick to the suit for everything?

Thanks guys. I know I'm being a little neurotic but my grades are rather unspectacular and I'd rather not make a bad impression from the very beginning.

aliens

New

Re: Dress code (female) for networking/screeners/lunch

Post by aliens » Wed Jul 17, 2013 9:57 am

Anonymous User wrote:A few attorneys in the market I'm hoping to work in (west coast) were nice enough to agree to meet up with me while I'm in town, but I'm not sure if I should be sticking to business casual (e.g. black pants, flats, and a nice top) or err on the side of caution and just go all out in a skirt suit (silk blouse, pantyhose, heels, and all).

Any advice on the following scenarios?

-Coffee outside the office
-Lunch outside the office
-"Meeting" inside the office (with a request for transcript, resume, and cover letter beforehand, so maybe a screener?)
-"Meeting" inside the office (with no request for any materials beforehand)

Skirt suit for anything in the office, and business casual for anything outside...or just stick to the suit for everything?

Thanks guys. I know I'm being a little neurotic but my grades are rather unspectacular and I'd rather not make a bad impression from the very beginning.

I'd go with a suit for all of them unless you know it's an extremely casual firm. It's always better to be overdressed than underdressed.

unlicensedpotato

Silver

Post by unlicensedpotato » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:28 am

aliens wrote: I'd go with a suit for all of them unless you know it's an extremely casual firm. It's always better to be overdressed than underdressed.
I'm a male but I think this is TCR

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:41 am

I've worn a blazer/dress combo instead of a suit for the outside the office type of meeting before, and that seemed to be a good balance of looking nice but not being too formal for the situation. I would definitely recommend a jacket of some kind though, but it probably doesn't need to be a matching suit if the meeting isn't in the office.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 17, 2013 10:48 am

They are likely going to be dressed in whatever is work appropriate - match that...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”