Salary increase question Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Clearly

Gold

Re: Salary increase question

Post by Clearly » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:46 pm

it's kind of crazy to accept a job below market rate, then compare your income to market rate, no?

romothesavior

Diamond

Post by romothesavior » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:00 pm

Clearlynotstefan wrote:it's kind of crazy to accept a job below market rate, then compare your income to market rate, no?
I agree. If you're at a midsized firm, it doesn't make any sense to look at the big dogs in town and compare yourself to those associates. You risk coming off as ignorant for making the comparison, and possibly even somewhat offensive.

citylawyer1010

New

Post by citylawyer1010 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:34 pm

I'm comparing my salary to other firms with the same characteristics. I have no idea what other associates make and I'm one of only a few first years. And it's crazy to take a job below market?? It's a job. 50% of grads didn't get a law job. Also I had no idea what midlaw market salary was at the time I graduated and was desperate. Now I'm less desperate. Duh

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:46 pm

citylawyer1010 wrote:I'm comparing my salary to other firms with the same characteristics. I have no idea what other associates make and I'm one of only a few first years. And it's crazy to take a job below market?? It's a job. 50% of grads didn't get a law job. Also I had no idea what midlaw market salary was at the time I graduated and was desperate. Now I'm less desperate. Duh
reading comp fail. he said it was crazy to accept the below market job, and then tell your boss you want a market raise/salary. i think it's really weird that you don't know what other associates at your own firm make. also, you might think you are "less desparate" now but i think maybe you should be the "same desparate" -- ITT you sound like you are overrating yourself and getting emotional.. quickest way to get PWND in a negotiation - good luck bro i sincerely wish you well but advise you read some books/credited blog posts about negotiations / compensation before asking for a raise bc IMO you are cruising for a bruising.

Clearly

Gold

Post by Clearly » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:52 pm

citylawyer1010 wrote:I'm comparing my salary to other firms with the same characteristics. I have no idea what other associates make and I'm one of only a few first years. And it's crazy to take a job below market?? It's a job. 50% of grads didn't get a law job. Also I had no idea what midlaw market salary was at the time I graduated and was desperate. Now I'm less desperate. Duh
Ugh, no, it's not crazy to take a job, in fact its great to take a job. What IS crazy is taking a job, then a year later expecting it to be a better job than you originally signed up for. You posted wondering if its okay to ask for an almost 30% raise... :|

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

citylawyer1010

New

Post by citylawyer1010 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:56 pm

I just feel like I wasn't as useful my first year and now can be more profitable. I think my 70k was artificially low. I'm much more useful now than I was a year ago.

citylawyer1010

New

Post by citylawyer1010 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:59 pm

I just feel like I wasn't as useful my first year and now can be more profitable. I think my 70k was artificially low. I'm much more useful now than I was when I started. Ugh. I know I know no one has jobs and I should just shut up and be glad I'm not working for free.

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Sun Jul 14, 2013 9:59 pm

citylawyer1010 wrote:I just feel like I wasn't as useful my first year and now can be more profitable. I think my 70k was artificially low. I'm much more useful now than I was a year ago.
Keep in mind that you may not have even been worth $70k, but that they hired you in the hopes that after a year or two you would be worth your salary

citylawyer1010

New

Post by citylawyer1010 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:06 pm

guano wrote:
citylawyer1010 wrote:I just feel like I wasn't as useful my first year and now can be more profitable. I think my 70k was artificially low. I'm much more useful now than I was a year ago.
Keep in mind that you may not have even been worth $70k, but that they hired you in the hopes that after a year or two you would be worth your salary
They did they say that I'm not worth 70k when I started. All my work had to be checked etc. I'm just wondering...when is lateraling actually a viable option for litigation? At the least. I'd like to hit 100k

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

finnandjake2

Bronze

Post by finnandjake2 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:19 pm

citylawyer1010 wrote:
guano wrote:
They did they say that I'm not worth 70k when I started. All my work had to be checked etc. I'm just wondering...when is lateraling actually a viable option for litigation? At the least. I'd like to hit 100k
Troll? "Lateral" doesn't mean 40+% salary increase. Check yourself. Like other posters have said you should learn at least the basics of negotiation.

c3pO4

Silver

Post by c3pO4 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 11:48 pm

this flame lasted surprisingly long

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”