DC Bid list Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
AnnieP

New

DC Bid list

Post by AnnieP » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:09 pm

Any experts on DC firms? Everyone says they are "hypercompetitive" but I'm not really sure what that means. I have: 1 DS/5H/4P, DC work experience and ties, non URM. Is this list realistic? Anyone know what kind of grade cutoffs Covington, Wilmer and Hogan have? Thanks for any advice.

Covington
WilmerHale
Williams & Connolly
hogan lovells
Sidley Austin
Arnold & Porter
Ropes & Gray
Latham & Watkins
Jones Day
Skadden
Goodwin Proctor
Gibson Dunn
Venable
McDermott, Will, & Emery
Akin Gump
Morgan Lewis
Wiley Rein
Jenner & Block
Steptoe & Johnson
Patton Boggs
K&L Gates

bdubs

Gold

Re: DC Bid list

Post by bdubs » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:05 pm

I don't know H's grading that well, but Covington, WH, and especially W&C are very competitive. I think you might not be in the best spot to bid them as your top 3.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:08 pm

bdubs wrote:I don't know H's grading that well, but Covington, WH, and especially W&C are very competitive. I think you might not be in the best spot to bid them as your top 3.
Why would where you put them matter. Having them at 9,10,11 doesn't do anything.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:41 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
bdubs wrote:I don't know H's grading that well, but Covington, WH, and especially W&C are very competitive. I think you might not be in the best spot to bid them as your top 3.
Why would where you put them matter. Having them at 9,10,11 doesn't do anything.
Do students at H get 100% of firms they bid? I was assuming that OP was using his/her top 3 bid spots for those firms and losing the opportunity to put other firms where they would be more competitive.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jul 12, 2013 4:48 pm

bdubs wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Do students at H get 100% of firms they bid? I was assuming that OP was using his/her top 3 bid spots for those firms and losing the opportunity to put other firms where they would be more competitive.
Then what you are saying is that they shouldn't bid them at all. Where you put them isn't really important.

I'm not sure about W&C, but Cov and WH don't seem to be so impossible that OP should bid them as reaches.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 13, 2013 7:57 am

GULC student here. From what I remember based on our database created by career services, W&C is the most competitive. After that it's Steptoe, Covington, Wilmer, Latham, Skadden, Hogan, A&P, Jenner, and Gibson in no particular order. Then the rest. I hope that helps a little.

Also, to add: I'm sure you're competitive for some of the firms. I can't really say which ones you'll get. I doubt you'll get W&C, but the rest are all possibilities.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”