UCLA OCI Bidlist help Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

UCLA OCI Bidlist help

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:03 am

Last edited by Anonymous User on Sat Jul 13, 2013 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sequins

New

Re: UCLA OCI Bidlist help

Post by sequins » Fri Jul 12, 2013 2:42 am

How do you know 3.6 is top 20% at ucla? As far as I know they don't say median or any percentage.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 12, 2013 9:10 am

sequins wrote:How do you know 3.6 is top 20% at ucla? As far as I know they don't say median or any percentage.
Not OP but ucla as well. I'm pretty sure this is mostly a guess based on anecdotal information, but I think OP's about right. Our curve is 25-29% for A-range grades and they give you your percentile if you're applying for clerkships. A rising 3L friend of mine was in the top 10% with a 3.7 (much closer to a 3.8) and presumably its just a little lower for 1L's. So I'd say 20% is a pretty good guess.

Also to touch on your bidlist a bit, mine looks remarkably similar and I'm 3.7 + LR so it looks good as far as I know. With your (our?) GPA I think it will really come down to interview skills.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 12, 2013 12:33 pm

Do you want to do IP? Wondering why Pillsbury is so high. I don't think you will get MoFo bidding it that low as it's a popular pick at UCLA. You also have a random mix of bigger, HQ offices and smaller, satellite offices - do you know what kind of office environment you want? They are VERY different (Think 15-25 in your summer class vs. 2). I also noticed Gibson, Quinn, Irell, MTO, and Skadden aren't on your list. While these are the most grade selective firms in LA, law review will help push you up a notch. So I would put some of those into the mix if you are interested in litigation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 12, 2013 10:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Do you want to do IP? Wondering why Pillsbury is so high. I don't think you will get MoFo bidding it that low as it's a popular pick at UCLA. You also have a random mix of bigger, HQ offices and smaller, satellite offices - do you know what kind of office environment you want? They are VERY different (Think 15-25 in your summer class vs. 2). I also noticed Gibson, Quinn, Irell, MTO, and Skadden aren't on your list. While these are the most grade selective firms in LA, law review will help push you up a notch. So I would put some of those into the mix if you are interested in litigation.
Hmm, good point, will put MoFo up higher. But I thought Pillsbury does more than just IP or does the LA office only do IP.
While Law Review does give me a boost, I don't think its good enough for those firms you mentioned. Those firms are way too gunner/intense for me so I am not even going to try. Hopefully the top 10% + law review take those instead haha. Thanks to all for the feedback.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:04 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Do you want to do IP? Wondering why Pillsbury is so high. I don't think you will get MoFo bidding it that low as it's a popular pick at UCLA. You also have a random mix of bigger, HQ offices and smaller, satellite offices - do you know what kind of office environment you want? They are VERY different (Think 15-25 in your summer class vs. 2). I also noticed Gibson, Quinn, Irell, MTO, and Skadden aren't on your list. While these are the most grade selective firms in LA, law review will help push you up a notch. So I would put some of those into the mix if you are interested in litigation.
Hmm, good point, will put MoFo up higher. But I thought Pillsbury does more than just IP or does the LA office only do IP.
While Law Review does give me a boost, I don't think its good enough for those firms you mentioned. Those firms are way too gunner/intense for me so I am not even going to try. Hopefully the top 10% + law review take those instead haha. Thanks to all for the feedback.
Only people I knew who worked at Pillsbury were IP folks, but I literally have NO opinion re: the firm. Just surprised to see them at #2. Also, the aforementioned firms aren't all full of gunners. For example, Gibson attracts a smart, outgoing type while MTO attracts a smart, intellectual type - these do not necessarily = gunner. Just saying, I don't think you are out of the running if you wanted these firms BUT it doesn't sound like you do, so I guess it makes sense for you not to bid on them. I just know my OCI experience was a cluster fuck and I really didn't know a firm's "culture" until the callback. I would recommend keeping all doors open.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 13, 2013 5:43 am

OP: I think you made the right choice by leaving off MTO and Irell. Neither have given a callback to anyone with a 3.6 in the past 3 years if you look at that gpa sheet.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”