What to do when you hate your job? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What to do when you hate your job?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:21 pm

In a secondary market, is it possible to quit work at a small firm without an offer in pocket and then snag a job later? Or is it better to just hang in there, fake it and look for that other job, then quit only when you get it?

I am miserable to the point of my job beginning to cause me stress and what borders on depression. I am still able to do my job very well, but it is an unhealthy environment. The main partner at my small firm lacks respect for all others to the point where the treatment feels cruel, and I think some things we do are near unethical (too many gray areas for my comfort). I would describe the environment as sometimes emotionally abusive. I love WHAT I do just not how my firm does it and who I work with. The type of work is what keeps me going.

It wasn't always like this. I think I saw the true colors at my firm recently and I haven't liked what I've seen. I feel blessed to have a job at all, but really mentally messed up over the direction it's going in.

I just don't know what to do.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:26 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Bronte

Gold

Re: What to do when you hate your job?

Post by Bronte » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:25 pm

No, I don't think you should quit without another offer in hand. You should look for another job first.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:28 pm

Try to stick it out with your current job until you line something else up. Apply aggressively elsewhere (firms, government, etc.). This should give you hope as an end is in sight. Try to pick up a hobby outside of work to de stress. Maybe yoga? If you think your bar license is at risk though then you need to hightail it out though. It's a tough situation and I'm sorry you are going through this.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:41 pm

OP here. Thank you above posters for the sensible advice.

How can I get back on the job hunt? I fear that I'm rusty at resume drafting and interviewing. Are there good resources for graduates? Could I turn back to my old career services (2012 grad here)?

It's tough some days to fight the urge to walk out, but I understand that it wouldn't be the right thing to do to clients or others who work here, no matter how poorly I'm treated. I know that the only solution to this drowning sensation I constantly have is to be active in moving on and going about it the right way.

What are some good starting points and resources for figuring out what that right way is, especially so soon in my career?

Edit: I had misread the above post. If I face an unethical situation and just walk out, how will this affect my job hunt? (I always hear it's easier to get a job while you have one.) What can I tell potential employers about why I left / am thinking of leaving - the truth? Or would I use some euphemism?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 08, 2013 1:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:OP here. Thank you above posters for the sensible advice.

How can I get back on the job hunt? I fear that I'm rusty at resume drafting and interviewing. Are there good resources for graduates? Could I turn back to my old career services (2012 grad here)?

It's tough some days to fight the urge to walk out, but I understand that it wouldn't be the right thing to do to clients or others who work here, no matter how poorly I'm treated. I know that the only solution to this drowning sensation I constantly have is to be active in moving on and going about it the right way.

What are some good starting points and resources for figuring out what that right way is, especially so soon in my career?

Edit: I had misread the above post. If I face an unethical situation and just walk out, how will this affect my job hunt? (I always hear it's easier to get a job while you have one.) What can I tell potential employers about why I left / am thinking of leaving - the truth? Or would I use some euphemism?
Career services will definitely still be available to you. My T2 sends out emails regarding job openings. Try to get out there socially. Your peers may know about openings not advertised. As for ethical situations I don't think you need to walk out, but you need to stick up for yourself. If things hit the fan the low man on the totem poll is often blamed. You would be screwed if you lost your license. Maybe reach out to older mentors like a professor if you need advice. It would be awkward to explain in a future job interview and I don't know the right answer as to that.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:13 pm

Absolutely will get in touch with CSO. Maybe they can help more now than before given that I do have experience under my belt.

How do I fake nice to my boss until I get another job (assuming I get one)? The idea that I could possibly move on makes work here increasingly less bearable (does that make any sense?).

I'm going to get back on the job horse, and also pray a lot and really hard, as non-religious as I otherwise am :/

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 08, 2013 4:19 pm

To follow up, with full awareness of the awkward aspie nature of this Q: if I reach out to attorneys in the area seeking mentorship or even just networking, can I describe the work situation to them or is that something you don't bring up at first? Is it kind of like mentioning something overly personal on a first date, or would it be OK?

I'm starting to recall now how tough job hunting and networking is...

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Mon Jul 08, 2013 7:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To follow up, with full awareness of the awkward aspie nature of this Q: if I reach out to attorneys in the area seeking mentorship or even just networking, can I describe the work situation to them or is that something you don't bring up at first? Is it kind of like mentioning something overly personal on a first date, or would it be OK?

I'm starting to recall now how tough job hunting and networking is...
I'd leave it out the first time you meet them. I've been very successful networking when the first time I meet I let them do most the talking and talk about themselves. If its going really well then you could slip that in there. However, you want to build up a trust with people rather then coming off as if your just looking to find a new job. What I mean is that you don't want to seem like your asking flat out the first time you meet them to help find you something.

If you get along great then maybe the second time suggest a happy hour. I think thats a better time to strike. You could strike up the conversation in a more casual setting after a few drinks. To me that seems more genuine. Just my opinion tho, and I am only going to be a 2L, but believe that I am a pretty decent networker.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”