Top 20% at Top 30 School, Bidding Strategy and Firms Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Top 20% at Top 30 School, Bidding Strategy and Firms

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:27 pm

I'm at a Top 30 school that has a pure lottery system (no preselect) for OCI. I finished 1L year in the top 20% so I sense that I should be competitive for most firms interviewing at school aside from the firms looking for the very very top of the class. I'm not completely sold on big law and would much rather work for a mid-sized firm where I would be able to have a better lifestyle. However, there's really only one firm that would fit that description coming to OCI with the rest being large firms. If I got an offer from a big firm I'd take it if I don't have any luck finding something with a slightly smaller firm. With that said, what should be my bidding strategy given that its pure lottery? Obviously the firms with lower GPA requirements are going to have more people bidding so should I focus more on firms looking for students in my range but not quite the very top of the class? I'm not that into how prestigious certain firms are. Fit and type of work are much more important to me than any kind of ranking or prestige factor. My concern after a quick look at the firms interviewing, is that the firms that seemed to interest me the most had GPA requirements at the at the median which will probably make it much harder to actually get an interview. Aside from GPA requirements and things like that is it best to just go to the firm's website to get an idea of what the firm is like and what kind of work they do?

Also, what should be my strategy for targeting maybe the mid-sized boutiquey firms I'd prefer? Mass-mailing? Family contacts? I will definitely be participating in OCI and feel that I've got a much better shot getting a biglaw position purely because they are really the only firms interviewing at school.

stillwater

Gold

Re: Top 20% at Top 30 School, Bidding Strategy and Firms

Post by stillwater » Sat Jul 06, 2013 9:42 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm at a Top 30 school that has a pure lottery system (no preselect) for OCI. I finished 1L year in the top 20% so I sense that I should be competitive for most firms interviewing at school aside from the firms looking for the very very top of the class. I'm not completely sold on big law and would much rather work for a mid-sized firm where I would be able to have a better lifestyle. However, there's really only one firm that would fit that description coming to OCI with the rest being large firms. If I got an offer from a big firm I'd take it if I don't have any luck finding something with a slightly smaller firm. With that said, what should be my bidding strategy given that its pure lottery? Obviously the firms with lower GPA requirements are going to have more people bidding so should I focus more on firms looking for students in my range but not quite the very top of the class? I'm not that into how prestigious certain firms are. Fit and type of work are much more important to me than any kind of ranking or prestige factor. My concern after a quick look at the firms interviewing, is that the firms that seemed to interest me the most had GPA requirements at the at the median which will probably make it much harder to actually get an interview. Aside from GPA requirements and things like that is it best to just go to the firm's website to get an idea of what the firm is like and what kind of work they do?

Also, what should be my strategy for targeting maybe the mid-sized boutiquey firms I'd prefer? Mass-mailing? Family contacts? I will definitely be participating in OCI and feel that I've got a much better shot getting a biglaw position purely because they are really the only firms interviewing at school.
a lot of this depends on what market you're in and what school you're at. since you are anon, you should let people help you by revealing the school. not all "T30s" are created equal.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:21 pm

T30 with pure lottery = probably ND

Just so you know OP "midsize" is not synonymous with "lifestyle"

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:38 pm

rad lulz wrote:T30 with pure lottery = probably ND

Just so you know OP "midsize" is not synonymous with "lifestyle"
I realize that mid size isn't synonymous with lifestyle. Regardless, I think I'd prefer to work at a mid size firm paying close to market.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:39 pm

No one can help you without knowing your school, where you are from or have significant ties, what you want to do, and what firms show up at your OCI

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”