Lower stress practice areas Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Lower stress practice areas

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:28 pm

I'm trying to cold email partners. Is there a particular practice area that is less stressful or tends to have some down time so I could have a higher success rate at responses? Mostly been striking out with corporate guys, so far.

Gold

Re: Lower stress practice areas

Post by 84651846190 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:36 pm

lol, no. maybe government lawyers?

citylawyer1010

New

Post by citylawyer1010 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 10:56 pm

Employment law

BeautifulSW

Silver

Post by BeautifulSW » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:24 pm

I made my career in state government law. It is much less stressful than private practice. No billables, paid annual and sick leave, holidays off, 40-50 hour weeks. Your CLE and bar dues are usually paid for, full benefits, oh yeah, it's great.

But.

The pay is simply awful. We start new attorneys as low as the mid forties. You can retire after twenty five years never having made more than seventy-five.

The bureaucracy will crush you unless you develop the patience of Job's first wife.

You may have to start your career in a state, and a part of that state, that you would never have considered before.

Good luck whatever you do.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 06, 2013 3:28 pm

From my experience as a summer, employment law was by far the lowest stress and most humane group (likely because its the only area in biglaw that deals with real, human problems, so it attracts a certain kind of personality, in good way). If a firm has a wills, trusts, and estates practice, that might qualify as well.

But your Q seems to really be who is least busy, not who is lowest stress. And that can certainly vary.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gorki

Silver

Post by Gorki » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:27 pm

Yeah, not so sure on employment law... If your at biglaw you will be doing defense side, so you will not be "helping the little guy" unless you somehow end up at a P's firm. A lot of the P's I have dealt with have sketchy at-best cases and all believe they would have won $150,000,000 for their "unique case" if not for us damn lawyers.

Any practice area is only as good as your immediate supervisor IMO... Even if you work gov't, having a terrible boss makes it hell.

citylawyer1010

New

Post by citylawyer1010 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:02 pm

Gorki wrote:Yeah, not so sure on employment law... If your at biglaw you will be doing defense side, so you will not be "helping the little guy" unless you somehow end up at a P's firm. A lot of the P's I have dealt with have sketchy at-best cases and all believe they would have won $150,000,000 for their "unique case" if not for us damn lawyers.

Any practice area is only as good as your immediate supervisor IMO... Even if you work gov't, having a terrible boss makes it hell.
100% true. It's all about who you work for.

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Sun Jul 14, 2013 10:52 pm

I think your question is based on an incorrect assumption. I don't think there's any practice area slow enough that partners are likely to respond to cold emails.

BlueLotus

Gold

Post by BlueLotus » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:35 pm

How about family law? Immigration law?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

guano

Gold

Post by guano » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:38 pm

BlueLotus wrote:How about family law? Immigration law?
I'd imagine a custody battle or a pending deportation can be very stressful.

Maybe trusts and estates (the high end can be very stressful, though)

IAFG

Platinum

Post by IAFG » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:49 pm

T&E, tax, IP, gov't Ks, really any area with more predictable schedules.

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Mon Jul 15, 2013 12:59 pm

BeautifulSW wrote:I made my career in state government law. It is much less stressful than private practice. No billables, paid annual and sick leave, holidays off, 40-50 hour weeks. Your CLE and bar dues are usually paid for, full benefits, oh yeah, it's great.

But.

The pay is simply awful. We start new attorneys as low as the mid forties. You can retire after twenty five years never having made more than seventy-five.
Jesus. The government I'm summering at starts attorneys at 87k (req. 2+ yrs experience), and I think everyone here is in the next category up (req. 5+ yrs experience, starts at 93k, maxes out at 138k)--not including the department head, who makes more. And this is a market where "biglaw" starts at 90-115k. They also don't seem to work from home/work late very much at all.
Too bad it's a small department and openings don't come up very often. I will definitely keep my eye on it after I graduate because I'd work here in a heartbeat.

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Mon Jul 15, 2013 1:15 pm

citylawyer1010 wrote:Employment law
Tell that to the employment law folks at my firm.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”