Some guidance for rising 2L at T2. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Some guidance for rising 2L at T2.

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:26 pm

Sincere responses are appreciated. Ridiculous and/or funny responses are also appreciated as long as they don't derail the conversation.

I currently am in the top 15%, and was recently accepted onto Law Review. This summer I have gotten great experience in civil litigation and had the opportunity to do some research for a professor at my school. I go to a second tier law school.

I really have no idea what I want to do, but definitely want to shoot for the stars. What types of bids should I be making at OCI, and what types of employers should I be papering outside of OCI?

Honestly any general advice would be wonderful. The OCI system is not lottery, but I think my rank, plus my class size, will keep me out of yield-protect land.

Diamond

Re: Some guidance for rising 2L at T2.

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:33 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Sincere responses are appreciated. Ridiculous and/or funny responses are also appreciated as long as they don't derail the conversation.

I currently am in the top 15%, and was recently accepted onto Law Review. This summer I have gotten great experience in civil litigation and had the opportunity to do some research for a professor at my school. I go to a second tier law school.

I really have no idea what I want to do, but definitely want to shoot for the stars. What types of bids should I be making at OCI, and what types of employers should I be papering outside of OCI?

Honestly any general advice would be wonderful. The OCI system is not lottery, but I think my rank, plus my class size, will keep me out of yield-protect land.
No such thing as yield protect at OCI

Can you bid on every firm at your TTT? If so, do it.

colerain

New

Post by colerain » Fri Jul 05, 2013 9:41 pm

Last edited by colerain on Tue Apr 01, 2014 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:50 am

Anonymous User wrote:Sincere responses are appreciated. Ridiculous and/or funny responses are also appreciated as long as they don't derail the conversation.

Market-dependent. Where are you looking and what do you mean by "shooting for the stars"? PI? Biglaw? Gov't?

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:09 am

I'm guessing at your TT you can bid on all the firms and then the employers preselect, so just do that, then do mass mailing

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:09 am

colerain wrote:UC?

If so, you'll need top 5-7%, but the middle-sized firms may not be out of your reach.
How big is a middle sized firm

colerain

New

Post by colerain » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:29 am

Last edited by colerain on Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BeenDidThat

Silver

Post by BeenDidThat » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:05 pm

Shoot high, but cover local. T2s generally have the most pull in their home state, and in some cases, only in their home metro. Your grades & law review will signify quality, and you'll probably drum up interest in local firms quite easily. Throw a few hail marys, though. Your grades will get you a look, and if you are a good interview, you could get a more nat'l firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:57 pm

I don't mean to detract from OP, but I'm in a similar situation seeking similar advice.

Will there be a difference for a T2 student top 5% with law review versus top 15%?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Lacepiece23

Silver

Post by Lacepiece23 » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:05 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I don't mean to detract from OP, but I'm in a similar situation seeking similar advice.

Will there be a difference for a T2 student top 5% with law review versus top 15%?
Yes of course. Considering that at most T2's less then ten percent get big law you will obviously do better then someone who is at the top 15%. Just like if you were at georgetown within the top 30% where most people get biglaw as opposed to the top 40-45%.

Mount Elbrus

New

Post by Mount Elbrus » Sat Jul 06, 2013 1:11 pm

I am a T2 grad (2011) - At least at my school, there was a world of difference between top 5% and top 15%. Most of the big firms had a top 10% requirement before you could even bid on them (career services would check to make sure your grades were good enough before they would put your name on the list). I remember one even had a top 5% requirement. Top 15% is still quite impressive, it is just the tough nature of T2s that you really need to be in the very top for the big firms. However, you should still be in relatively good shape with the top 15%, but you will likely have to use other avenues than OCI for big firms.

Unfortunately, the T2 stays with you, I finished in the top 1%. I have talked to a few recruiters and have heard on multiple occasions that although my resume is strong that they only work with grads from the top schools. I graduate with minimal debt, but looking back on it I wonder if I should have transferred. People with the same stats or slightly worse than me transferred to Chicago and Northwestern. Grass is always greener I suppose.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”