Mass mailing in NY? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Mass mailing in NY?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:09 pm

I'm just below median at CLS, straight out of an Ivy UG, no significant WE etc. Hoping for a secondary journal. I know the drill with bidding wisely, aiming for firms that give a bigger number of offers to non-Kent/Stones, etc. But I've also heard I should be thinking about mass-mailing - I'm just not sure how to go about doing that given the fact that nearly every big law firm in NYC is coming to EIP, and mass mailing is only for those that aren't coming, if I understand correctly? I'm only targeting NYC because it's the only place I have ties to - I'm from the NYC suburbs, family's here, even my UG was in the tristate area. Are you supposed to mass mail firms that are coming to EIP anyway?

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Re: Mass mailing in NY?

Post by JamMasterJ » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:21 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm just below median at CLS, straight out of an Ivy UG, no significant WE etc. Hoping for a secondary journal. I know the drill with bidding wisely, aiming for firms that give a bigger number of offers to non-Kent/Stones, etc. But I've also heard I should be thinking about mass-mailing - I'm just not sure how to go about doing that given the fact that nearly every big law firm in NYC is coming to EIP, and mass mailing is only for those that aren't coming, if I understand correctly? I'm only targeting NYC because it's the only place I have ties to - I'm from the NYC suburbs, family's here, even my UG was in the tristate area. Are you supposed to mass mail firms that are coming to EIP anyway?
can't hurt

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 04, 2013 8:58 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I'm just below median at CLS, straight out of an Ivy UG, no significant WE etc. Hoping for a secondary journal. I know the drill with bidding wisely, aiming for firms that give a bigger number of offers to non-Kent/Stones, etc. But I've also heard I should be thinking about mass-mailing - I'm just not sure how to go about doing that given the fact that nearly every big law firm in NYC is coming to EIP, and mass mailing is only for those that aren't coming, if I understand correctly? I'm only targeting NYC because it's the only place I have ties to - I'm from the NYC suburbs, family's here, even my UG was in the tristate area. Are you supposed to mass mail firms that are coming to EIP anyway?
O HAI ME. I don't think there is much benefit in mass mailing firms that you are interviewing with. If you don't get an interview with a firm coming to EIP then I think you can mail them but also reach out to them during EIP.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:16 am

Chiming in - is there any point to getting a mass mail spreadsheet together before our interview assignments come out then?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:46 am

I was below median at NYU. I mass mailed well before our EIW interview lists came out and I mass-mailed any non-selective firm that was coming to EIW and I knew would be in high demand. I got 5-6 callbacks out of it. Mail often, mail early.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:59 am

What did you write in the mass mail? When I mailed some firms that are coming to OCI they replied I can just bid on them.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:40 pm

OR: I didn't mail-merge. I think I sent about 50 applications to NY firms. I wrote every firm a cover letter about what it was about the firm that interested me and mentioned if I knew anyone at the firm. I also e-mailed NYU alums at the firm and asked them about their practice, and mentioned it in the cover letter. Some of the HR offices got back to me and said "email us if you don't get us at OCI," and when I did they set up a separate screener.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Jul 07, 2013 4:37 am

Anonymous User wrote:I was below median at NYU. I mass mailed well before our EIW interview lists came out and I mass-mailed any non-selective firm that was coming to EIW and I knew would be in high demand. I got 5-6 callbacks out of it. Mail often, mail early.
PM me please.
I understand if you don't want to out yourself though.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:12 pm

JamMasterJ wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:I was below median at NYU. I mass mailed well before our EIW interview lists came out and I mass-mailed any non-selective firm that was coming to EIW and I knew would be in high demand. I got 5-6 callbacks out of it. Mail often, mail early.
PM me please.
Me too thanks

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Sun Jul 07, 2013 12:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
JamMasterJ wrote:
PM me please.
Me too thanks
you can't have him PM you if you post anonymously

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”