NYU 3.53 EIW Bidding Help Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

NYU 3.53 EIW Bidding Help

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:45 am

So I've ended up with a 3.53 and am looking to go to the West Coast (ideally San Fran but L.A. would work too) or international but have pretty much no idea where to bid. I've also got potentially helpful work experience and true fluency in a marketable language FWIW. I've heard good things about MoFo in San Fran but that's pretty much all I know right now.

I'm looking for a firm that is cool with you having a life outside work since I will probably be having kids within the next few years. Do places like this even exist? I'm also pretty sure I'm interested in litigation, but am not 100% sold.

Finally, what do you guys know about starting off overseas? I know they work longer hours than in the U.S. so that doesn't really jibe with the whole family thing, but I'm still curious about it. Would starting off outside the U.S. make it tough to come back in a few years, either to the same firm or somewhere else?

All help would be appreciated. I know my GPA is pretty good but not insane or anything so I want to make sure I don't bid too aggressively. (And if I was a dumbass and revealed too much info and you know me, feel free to make fun of me later but don't out me).

Anonymous User

Re: NYU 3.53 EIW Bidding Help

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:08 am

I wish everyone with foreign language skills would post what language it is, because it's not that helpful for picking firms if you're just like "I speak a language." i.e., some firms want you to speak Spanish and Portuguese, other firms want you to speak Chinese, some firms have Moscow offices. It's not like there's some amorphous "international firm" that can use all of these. What language do you speak? I am guessing since you're interested in MoFo it's an Asian language? You are not going to out yourself, but it's hard to be helpful unless you say. Lots and LOTS of people are multilingual. I attended CCN too and I know lots of people that are fluent in Chinese, 5+ fluent in Russian, and 10+ fluent in Spanish/Portuguese.

Second, starting off overseas generally means you're not going to be in litigation. Most people with overseas offices primarily do cap markets/ M&A work out of those offices, though I can't speak for the Asia practices.

From what I have heard, and from all the advice I've gotten, you want to be in the US about 18 months before taking a foreign assignment. This was the advice given to me by MANY partners at my firm. I was recruited for my language skills. It doesn't make it hard to come back, but the word on the street is that it's better to start off stateside for the purposes of networking and training.

Your GPA is great, the world is basically your oyster. You probably won't get Cravath or Sullcrom but I think the V10 is definitely poss. provided you are a good interviewer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:42 am

OP here

Language is Mandarin, didn't want to out myself but I guess it's not a big deal.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:52 am

MoFo, DPW, Baker McKenzie, Jones Day, Linklaters, clifford chance, Allen & Overy, Sidley (a little more "lifestyle" than most of the firms on this list, bid them first if you want them because they are v. popular at CCN) Debevoise, Paul Weiss, Paul Hastings, Freshfields, Simpson Thatcher, White & case. yOu'll have to do your own research on on the practice areas you are interested in (Check out Chambers & Partners China/Asia awards and the firm websites) and rank according to the size of the interview pool, how popular the firm is, and what you think your shot is (although I think with your GPA you have a good shot at all listed here.) As you will see many of these international practices are heavily corporate-focused with some arbitration in there.

GL

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:05 pm

OP again

Thanks so much, these responses were very helpful.

One more question: Any thoughts on Quinn Emanuel? (I know I have to apply separately since they don't do EIW).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:18 pm

OR, well, they're great for litigation, I'm sure you have a good shot b/c your GPA is great. They care about fit a lot, and a bonus is that you don't have to "spend" a bid on them. No idea about asia practices, though, check the website! I think they work really hard there though. Others?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:46 pm

Do you have SF or LA ties?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:59 pm

I have very strong LA ties despite not being from there (I know that sounds odd but don't want to reveal more outside of a PM), and was hoping to frame them as California ties in general so I could go to Northern California too. Is that feasible?

Also, Sidley Austin seems great but their San Fran and Palo Alto offices aren't coming to EIW. Does that mean they're not taking NYU summers or would I still have a chance if I sent them an application?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:00 pm

I would send an application. Also mention it to HR at the sidley suite. I would e-mail the HR office in NY and say, "are you interviewing for all offices? Here's my resume/transcript, I am v. interested in SF office."

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 23, 2013 1:26 pm

Thanks all. Any idea about whether you have to have specifically Northern California ties for San Fran, or are strong LA ties enough?

And any idea what the GPA cutoff for Irell is? I've heard it's pretty high.

oblig.lawl.ref

Bronze

Post by oblig.lawl.ref » Sun Jun 23, 2013 5:27 pm

Generally people say SF is one of the harder markets to break into without ties. I have decent ties to the Bay Area and I'm still nervous. I'm not sure where your GPA places you in your class but I imagine it's pretty good and it will be impressive to a lot of firms.That being said, from everything I've heard LA ties are not sufficient to sell yourself to the Bay. The two are very different places/things. Furthermore, I wonder how strong ties can really be without being from the area--not saying they can't be strong but relative to people from the area I imagine they will be weaker.

ETA: Irell's cutoff at my school (MVPB) is pretty high. You've basically got to be top 25% with median being more like top 10%.

PPS: Oops, maybe the ties portion of my comment isn't so true. Look at the Bay Area ties thread below. It seems that people with top 20-10% at a school like yours can get Bay Area if they can explain themselves. Like I said, I don't really know where that GPA places you in your class.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 24, 2013 1:00 am

oblig.lawl.ref wrote:Generally people say SF is one of the harder markets to break into without ties. I have decent ties to the Bay Area and I'm still nervous. I'm not sure where your GPA places you in your class but I imagine it's pretty good and it will be impressive to a lot of firms.That being said, from everything I've heard LA ties are not sufficient to sell yourself to the Bay. The two are very different places/things. Furthermore, I wonder how strong ties can really be without being from the area--not saying they can't be strong but relative to people from the area I imagine they will be weaker.

ETA: Irell's cutoff at my school (MVPB) is pretty high. You've basically got to be top 25% with median being more like top 10%.

PPS: Oops, maybe the ties portion of my comment isn't so true. Look at the Bay Area ties thread below. It seems that people with top 20-10% at a school like yours can get Bay Area if they can explain themselves. Like I said, I don't really know where that GPA places you in your class.
Not OP, but his GPA should place him near top 25%

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 24, 2013 3:12 am

Anonymous User wrote:OR, well, they're great for litigation, I'm sure you have a good shot b/c your GPA is great. They care about fit a lot, and a bonus is that you don't have to "spend" a bid on them. No idea about asia practices, though, check the website! I think they work really hard there though. Others?
Quinn definitely does not care about fit. More importantly it's generally regarded as an awful place to work, even by biglaw standards. Though OP should at least check them out and turn them down later if he/she is picking between offers and doesn't like Quinn.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”