NYC V100 interview: what to expect, offer ratio, and cost Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Joe Quincy

Bronze

Re: NYC V100 interview: what to expect, offer ratio, and cost

Post by Joe Quincy » Sun Jun 23, 2013 11:06 am

Anonymous User wrote:
I'm top 5-10% at a T50. I have a 1L big law SA now in the market of the school. I'm on the margin for this NYC firm--they have one graduate from my school. I've applied to other NYC firms. I think I will be very solid in my home market (either with current firm or going through OCI) due to grades and the fact that I'm a decent interviewer with some relevant experience. But in NYC I'm not sure what to expect, and unlike my home market I can easily see striking out.
If you're already a 1L SA, your resume alone speaks to the fact that another firm was interested and makes you seem even more pretentious. No reason to disclose and risk the negative consequences. They will probably ask during the interview anyhow, which is entirely different than blurting it out when asking for an interview.

thelawyler

Silver

Re: NYC V100 interview: what to expect, offer ratio, and cost

Post by thelawyler » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:39 am

Joe Quincy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I'm top 5-10% at a T50. I have a 1L big law SA now in the market of the school. I'm on the margin for this NYC firm--they have one graduate from my school. I've applied to other NYC firms. I think I will be very solid in my home market (either with current firm or going through OCI) due to grades and the fact that I'm a decent interviewer with some relevant experience. But in NYC I'm not sure what to expect, and unlike my home market I can easily see striking out.
If you're already a 1L SA, your resume alone speaks to the fact that another firm was interested and makes you seem even more pretentious. No reason to disclose and risk the negative consequences. They will probably ask during the interview anyhow, which is entirely different than blurting it out when asking for an interview.
Let me just add in my ancedote about this topic.

I landed my 1L SA at a secondary market big firm that wasn't willing to fly me out, but interviewed me when I emailed them telling them I'd be in town. I mentioned I was visiting the city to learn more about the legal market, and they asked me if I was interviewing with other firms, and if so, which ones. I told them (a rival firm), and I ended up getting the call back and the job.

The thing about my small market is that the firms have agreed ahead of time to "split" the costs of flying out good talent for interviews. So if I fly in and interviewed with only one firm, they'd foot the entire bill, but if I had 3-4 interviews, all the costs would be split 3-4 ways. I think because of this logistical agreement between the firms, they wanted me to be up front and forward about the interview trip.

Just one story.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”