NYC V100 interview: what to expect, offer ratio, and cost Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

NYC V100 interview: what to expect, offer ratio, and cost

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:18 pm

Just got a phone call from a NYC firm (not going to name the firm, but think something like Cleary Gottlieb). The recruiter said they want to bring me in for interviews with attorneys, and when can I fly to NYC (I live in the middle of the country).

Three questions
1. What should I expect?
2. What kind of likelihood is there that this turns into an offer for next summer?
3. Do firms generally foot the bill for transportation, or is that on me?

Jsa725

Gold

Re: NYC V100 interview: what to expect, offer ratio, and cost

Post by Jsa725 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:22 pm

Last edited by Jsa725 on Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:28 pm

I know an associate at this firm (friend from college), and I sent him my resume, he forwarded it to their hiring department, and that's all I know. I didn't expect anything this soon.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Fri Jun 21, 2013 6:36 pm

Hutz_and_Goodman wrote:Just got a phone call from a NYC firm (not going to name the firm, but think something like Cleary Gottlieb). The recruiter said they want to bring me in for interviews with attorneys, and when can I fly to NYC (I live in the middle of the country).

Three questions
1. What should I expect?
2. What kind of likelihood is there that this turns into an offer for next summer?
3. Do firms generally foot the bill for transportation, or is that on me?
Why don't you just ask the recruiter as to 1 and 3

But you probably won't have to pay

As to 2, more than 0, or they probably wouldn't interview you, but no way to tell really

thelawyler

Silver

Post by thelawyler » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:09 pm

If they are flying you in, treat it like an interview that has a fair chance of leading to a full time offer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:22 pm

I'm not sure whether this is like an OCI or a call back. I'm assuming its like OCI (this firm does not come to my school), but in hoping its a callback.

aces

Bronze

Post by aces » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:25 pm

If they're flying you there and you're meeting with multiple attorneys, it's a callback.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:31 pm

aces wrote:If they're flying you there and you're meeting with multiple attorneys, it's a callback.
I'm meeting multiple attorneys but its not clear if they are paying. I will ask Monday (scheduled to talk to recruiting person to determine scheduling).

Joe Quincy

Bronze

Post by Joe Quincy » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:51 pm

If you don't want to outright ask, just ask if their is a specific hotel they recommend. If they're paying, they'll make the arrangements and they'll tell you they will take care of the reservation. Generally they'd give you a contact number to schedule your flights and such when they schedule the callback so this may be on you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:56 pm

Joe Quincy wrote:If you don't want to outright ask, just ask if their is a specific hotel they recommend. If they're paying, they'll make the arrangements and they'll tell you they will take care of the reservation. Generally they'd give you a contact number to schedule your flights and such when they schedule the callback so this may be on you.
I haven;t spoken to anyone yet. I got a voicemail on Friday. The message said the interview will be with multiple attorneys, and to call back to accept and arrange.

Joe Quincy

Bronze

Post by Joe Quincy » Sat Jun 22, 2013 9:59 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Joe Quincy wrote:If you don't want to outright ask, just ask if their is a specific hotel they recommend. If they're paying, they'll make the arrangements and they'll tell you they will take care of the reservation. Generally they'd give you a contact number to schedule your flights and such when they schedule the callback so this may be on you.
I haven;t spoken to anyone yet. I got a voicemail on Friday. The message said the interview will be with multiple attorneys, and to call back to accept and arrange.
Ah, I'd just call and accept then. If they're paying they'll give you the firm's travel agent info to make reservations. They get big discounts so they won't let you book yourself it they're paying.

Also, take this opportunity to drop a line to other firms in the city not coming to your OCI, tell them you'll be in town (but not why), and ask for an interview while you're there. You'd be surprised how effective this is.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:02 pm

Joe Quincy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Ah, I'd just call and accept then. If they're paying they'll give you the firm's travel agent info to make reservations. They get big discounts so they won't let you book yourself it they're paying.

Also, take this opportunity to drop a line to other firms in the city not coming to your OCI, tell them you'll be in town (but not why), and ask for an interview while you're there. You'd be surprised how effective this is.
Do this

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:15 pm

rad lulz wrote:
Joe Quincy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Do this
I'm planning to do this, but to say "I'm interviewing at X firm. I'd love to have the opportunity to interview at your firm while I'm in town."

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Ness Lee

New

Post by Ness Lee » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:24 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
I'm planning to do this, but to say "I'm interviewing at X firm. I'd love to have the opportunity to interview at your firm while I'm in town."
Didn't he just say not to do that?

Joe Quincy

Bronze

Post by Joe Quincy » Sat Jun 22, 2013 10:28 pm

Ness Lee wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Yeah, really don't do that. Every firm wants to believe they are your #1 choice because they are extra special, etc. You're in town, let them read between the lines or wait until they ask. Firm hiring is strangely similar to dating. You let the super model figure out you're also dating another super model on her own. You don't tell her in your pickup line.

Name dropping another firm makes you sound like an attention whore, pretentious, etc. They aren't likely to want to work with someone like that. So that's the last thing you want.

And even if they ask you why you're in town, you say "I'm in town visiting friends/family and am really interested in your firm so I thought I'd try to schedule an interview while I was here since you don't come to my OCI." Friends/family/other business in city makes you seem more connected and likely to be happier. Only disclose interviewing if they ask and only disclose firm names if they directly ask and it'd be weird.

They won't be impressed another firm is interviewing you.

nouseforaname123

Bronze

Post by nouseforaname123 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:19 pm

Have you been on a callback before?

Have you done OCI-style screening interviews?

When you call the recruiter she is going to want to schedule your interview. The recruiter will probably give you a range of dates.

If you're an inexperienced legal interviewer, try to push your callback out to the end of the range the recruiter gives you. Spend the extra time doing mock interviews and preparing for the callback.

The interview is serious, they wouldn't some the money to fly you out if they weren't willing to give you a serious look.

Joe Quincy

Bronze

Post by Joe Quincy » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:21 pm

nouseforaname123 wrote:Have you been on a callback before?

When you call the recruiter she is going to want to schedule your interview. The recruiter will probably give you a range of dates.

If you're an inexperienced legal interviewer, try to push your callback out to the end of the range the recruiter gives you. Spend the extra time doing mock interviews and preparing for the callback.

The interview is serious, they wouldn't some the money to fly you out if they weren't willing to give you a serious look.
Don't delay callbacks. Ever. You won't get any better in 4 days than you will in 4 hours. Do the best you can in the meantime to prepare and at minimum it is practice for OCI.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nouseforaname123

Bronze

Post by nouseforaname123 » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:23 pm

Joe Quincy wrote:

Don't delay callbacks. Ever. You won't get any better in 4 days than you will in 4 hours. Do the best you can in the meantime to prepare and at minimum it is practice for OCI.
I disagree. This is incredibly early in the recruiting season and there is virtually no chance the firm is anywhere close to filling its class.

If it were in August, I would agree and say that he shouldn't delay.

Joe Quincy

Bronze

Post by Joe Quincy » Sat Jun 22, 2013 11:43 pm

nouseforaname123 wrote:
Joe Quincy wrote:

I disagree. This is incredibly early in the recruiting season and there is virtually no chance the firm is anywhere close to filling its class.

If it were in August, I would agree and say that he shouldn't delay.
It's early but I still wouldn't delay. There are a myriad of things that could change. The partner that liked his resume could go on vacation, etc. Not to mention, my firm plans early and they lock down pretty early so they can plan what schools to go to, how many to bring back from the schools, etc.

Not to mention, some firms will have a single extra slot (or maybe a couple for larger class sizes) they will consider people for that don't go to their traditional OCI schools. In that case, he is in direct competition with anyone else they are calling back early...not the entire pool of OCI people they will call back later. (I have direct knowledge of at least two BigLaw firms that are setup this way.)

It's just not worth it. You can learn to interview well in a few hours. It doesn't take days...and if it does you don't really have a shot anyhow. Not to mention, if it goes horrible he will have time to regroup before OCI.

Finally, delaying in a situation like this telegraphs you're not really interested in the firm and they are just a backup choice or an after thought. That can easily be the kiss of death. (I've also heard this direct from a hiring partner at a BigLaw firm.) Once again, just like dating. When a woman says yes, you don't ask her for a date 3 weeks from now.

Think of this from their end. Why does he need to delay? Is he interviewing with other firms first? Shouldn't he have planned this better before he asked for an interview? If he really liked our firm, wouldn't he be able to make it here before X? Is this how its going to be if we hire him...he's too busy with personal stuff to devote himself to the firm? Does he not realize how hard it is to coordinate several lawyers for back-to-back interviews so that he thinks we can drop whatever and do what works for him? Shouldn't he just be grateful for a callback...is he self-entitled?

I'm not saying take the first day in the range...but I wouldn't make it obvious I was choosing the end of the range either. You're also assuming he's got a range...when I interviewed early I got, "Can you come in Friday afternoon?" It's an entirely different beast than OCI. (On a side note, if you can don't pick a friday afternoon during summer. The hiring partner I spoke to was in beachwear, had his suitcase sitting next to his desk, and flat out said he was leaving right after my interview. It made it awkward and very hurried. I'd avoid Monday mornings for similar reasons.)

nouseforaname123

Bronze

Post by nouseforaname123 » Sun Jun 23, 2013 12:16 am

Joe Quincy wrote:
It's early but I still wouldn't delay. There are a myriad of things that could change. The partner that liked his resume could go on vacation, etc. Not to mention, my firm plans early and they lock down pretty early so they can plan what schools to go to, how many to bring back from the schools, etc.

Not to mention, some firms will have a single extra slot (or maybe a couple for larger class sizes) they will consider people for that don't go to their traditional OCI schools. In that case, he is in direct competition with anyone else they are calling back early...not the entire pool of OCI people they will call back later. (I have direct knowledge of at least two BigLaw firms that are setup this way.)

It's just not worth it. You can learn to interview well in a few hours. It doesn't take days...and if it does you don't really have a shot anyhow. Not to mention, if it goes horrible he will have time to regroup before OCI.

Finally, delaying in a situation like this telegraphs you're not really interested in the firm and they are just a backup choice or an after thought. That can easily be the kiss of death. (I've also heard this direct from a hiring partner at a BigLaw firm.) Once again, just like dating. When a woman says yes, you don't ask her for a date 3 weeks from now.

Think of this from their end. Why does he need to delay? Is he interviewing with other firms first? Shouldn't he have planned this better before he asked for an interview? If he really liked our firm, wouldn't he be able to make it here before X? Is this how its going to be if we hire him...he's too busy with personal stuff to devote himself to the firm? Does he not realize how hard it is to coordinate several lawyers for back-to-back interviews so that he thinks we can drop whatever and do what works for him? Shouldn't he just be grateful for a callback...is he self-entitled?

I'm not saying take the first day in the range...but I wouldn't make it obvious I was choosing the end of the range either. You're also assuming he's got a range...when I interviewed early I got, "Can you come in Friday afternoon?" It's an entirely different beast than OCI. (On a side note, if you can don't pick a friday afternoon during summer. The hiring partner I spoke to was in beachwear, had his suitcase sitting next to his desk, and flat out said he was leaving right after my interview. It made it awkward and very hurried. I'd avoid Monday mornings for similar reasons.)
This is getting way more analysis than it needs, so I'll try to be brief. For about 95% of my callbacks I got a range, including callbacks that came outside of OCI. I don't think the end of the range, which in my experience was usually a week ("Can you come in on the week of 12th?") telegraphs anything, nor do I think very much is going to change for the firm in that time frame. Possible? Sure, but not likely. I'm not suggesting OP delay or ask for a date outside of the range.

On a tangent, schedule a date with a woman for whenever you want. Being an eager beaver in the dating game comes across as desperate. Legal hiring is not like dating a woman.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 23, 2013 8:52 am

Ness Lee wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I was advised to do this to get firms to bring me in. If I say "I'm interviewing with Cleary Gottlieb on xyz date then the recruiting person at Cravath is more likely to conclude 'If he's good enough for them to bring him in then we should bring him in.'" I hear what you're saying on the other side though so now I'm confused since I can see arguments both ways.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Joe Quincy

Bronze

Post by Joe Quincy » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:03 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Ness Lee wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
I was advised to do this to get firms to bring me in. If I say "I'm interviewing with Cleary Gottlieb on xyz date then the recruiting person at Cravath is more likely to conclude 'If he's good enough for them to bring him in then we should bring him in.'" I hear what you're saying on the other side though so now I'm confused since I can see arguments both ways.
OP do what you will, but during my summer I discussed this with my firm's hiring partner while getting drunk one day. And his opinion, and consensus he had gotten from his hiring partner buddies, was that this was tacky and showed poor judgment.

Career services at every school give some pretty bad advice sometimes. Pre-recession it probably worked that way. But all firms consider themselves special and largely don't care about who other firms are hiring. Not to mention, they don't want to waste resources interviewing someone another firm is likely to lock up.

The one caveat to this is, if you're someone big firms traditionally wouldn't look at all then I'd name drop other firms. E.g. top 50% at a T3. Because then they'll wonder what they are missing on paper. But if you're at a T14 or top 5% at a T1 I wouldn't do it.
Last edited by Joe Quincy on Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

Joe Quincy

Bronze

Post by Joe Quincy » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:04 am

nouseforaname123 wrote:
This is getting way more analysis than it needs, so I'll try to be brief. For about 95% of my callbacks I got a range, including callbacks that came outside of OCI. I don't think the end of the range, which in my experience was usually a week ("Can you come in on the week of 12th?") telegraphs anything, nor do I think very much is going to change for the firm in that time frame. Possible? Sure, but not likely. I'm not suggesting OP delay or ask for a date outside of the range.

On a tangent, schedule a date with a woman for whenever you want. Being an eager beaver in the dating game comes across as desperate. Legal hiring is not like dating a woman.
Did you go on non-OCI callbacks? Because I did...and got multiple offers. And it was entirely different than the OCI callbacks I went on. I also discussed them with my firm's hiring partner so this isn't just advice I pulled from thin air.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:09 am

If hear you OP. It would be nice to signal your desirability by letting them know you're being courted by a peer. But there's just no way to do that without it making you seem pretentious or entitled.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 23, 2013 10:43 am

Joe Quincy wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Ness Lee wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
OP do what you will, but during my summer I discussed this with my firm's hiring partner while getting drunk one day. And his opinion, and consensus he had gotten from his hiring partner buddies, was that this was tacky and showed poor judgment.

Career services at every school give some pretty bad advice sometimes. Pre-recession it probably worked that way. But all firms consider themselves special and largely don't care about who other firms are hiring. Not to mention, they don't want to waste resources interviewing someone another firm is likely to lock up.

The one caveat to this is, if you're someone big firms traditionally wouldn't look at all then I'd name drop other firms. E.g. top 50% at a T3. Because then they'll wonder what they are missing on paper. But if you're at a T14 or top 5% at a T1 I wouldn't do it.
I'm top 5-10% at a T50. I have a 1L big law SA now in the market of the school. I'm on the margin for this NYC firm--they have one graduate from my school. I've applied to other NYC firms. I think I will be very solid in my home market (either with current firm or going through OCI) due to grades and the fact that I'm a decent interviewer with some relevant experience. But in NYC I'm not sure what to expect, and unlike my home market I can easily see striking out.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”