SEMJF 2013 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
chesterfan1230

Bronze

SEMJF 2013

Post by chesterfan1230 » Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:51 am

Anyone else going? Bid Results released next friday!

Anonymous User

Re: SEMJF 2013

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:42 pm

chesterfan1230 wrote:Anyone else going? Bid Results released next friday!
I used all of my 20 bids but as someone who is bottom third at t-30 not all that hopeful about chances for any interviews but we'll see

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:33 am

Couldn't sleep and remembered that selections were up... Got 3 interview and 5 alternates pretty much what I expected ... Bottom 40 percent at t30

Any old semjf people lurking around that know how likely it is for an alternate to turn into an interview?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:35 am

Can't see anything about Bryan Cave or Schiff Harden.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:45 am

8 Preselects. Still waiting on Bryan Cave. I got Schiff Hardin already.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:52 am

Anonymous User wrote:8 Preselects. Still waiting on Bryan Cave. I got Schiff Hardin already.
Mine says pending. Going to assume it's a no.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 28, 2013 12:59 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:8 Preselects. Still waiting on Bryan Cave. I got Schiff Hardin already.
Mine says pending. Going to assume it's a no.
Ditto on Bryan cave... Got an alternate for Schiff Hardin Chicago slot says pending for the other 3 offices

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 28, 2013 2:56 pm

Bryan cave is up now...got a preselect so that brings me up to 4 with 5 alternates

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 28, 2013 4:16 pm

Yeah got preselected for Bryan Cave. Any idea on what to do for the interview time? Will the system automatically make sure it works with our other interviews?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 29, 2013 2:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Any old semjf people lurking around that know how likely it is for an alternate to turn into an interview?
Pretty much impossible. The job fair itself is great but as you can imagine it's a zoo with 500+ participants and like 80 employers. Chances are better on Friday for scooping an interview because of traffic/traveling, but actually getting an alternate to turn into an interview is just a matter of chance and being in the right place at the right time.
Anonymous User wrote:Any idea on what to do for the interview time? Will the system automatically make sure it works with our other interviews?
They make sure your interviews don't conflict. If you're in GA or a surrounding state within reasonable distance, I would plan on having Friday interviews. Be sure to take Friday off work if this applies to you (although I don't think interviews start until like 3 or so).

Congrats everyone, SEMJF is a very good opportunity to get a job. Take it seriously, regardless of your stats. If you've got an interview, the employer obviously likes your credentials enough to talk to you (especially since each employer gets like 200+ resumes and in some cases many more). Don't waste your time and their time by not thinking you have a chance based on stats.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 29, 2013 9:37 pm

Well since some students will have more than 10 preselects and have to decline some, it seems that an alternate could reasonably turn into an interview that way.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 29, 2013 11:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Any old semjf people lurking around that know how likely it is for an alternate to turn into an interview?
Pretty much impossible. The job fair itself is great but as you can imagine it's a zoo with 500+ participants and like 80 employers. Chances are better on Friday for scooping an interview because of traffic/traveling, but actually getting an alternate to turn into an interview is just a matter of chance and being in the right place at the right time.
Anonymous User wrote:Any idea on what to do for the interview time? Will the system automatically make sure it works with our other interviews?
They make sure your interviews don't conflict. If you're in GA or a surrounding state within reasonable distance, I would plan on having Friday interviews. Be sure to take Friday off work if this applies to you (although I don't think interviews start until like 3 or so).

Congrats everyone, SEMJF is a very good opportunity to get a job. Take it seriously, regardless of your stats. If you've got an interview, the employer obviously likes your credentials enough to talk to you (especially since each employer gets like 200+ resumes and in some cases many more). Don't waste your time and their time by not thinking you have a chance based on stats.
You sound like you talk from experience... You say one might be able to scoop an interview on Friday... What is the bets way to go about this drop by hospitality suites if they have one?? try to get coffee before all the chaos starts??

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 30, 2013 12:17 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Well since some students will have more than 10 preselects and have to decline some, it seems that an alternate could reasonably turn into an interview that way.
It's possible but unlikely, not many candidates get above 10 interviews. Of course you should always accept alternates, any maybe one pans out before schedules are finalized, but again, it's extremely unlikely.
Anonymous User wrote:You sound like you talk from experience... You say one might be able to scoop an interview on Friday... What is the bets way to go about this drop by hospitality suites if they have one?? try to get coffee before all the chaos starts??
I don't think any firms have hospitality suites, or they didn't when I participated in SEMJF. Three or four firms will have tables set up in the common area where you can sit and chat with an attorney or recruiter--this is done on a first-come, first-serve basis. I would do this, but again, it's only like 3 or 4 firms that do it.

Here's what I would do, in order to maximize my chances (which I should stress, are minimal) at getting extra interviews:
1.) accept all alternates
2.) show up at the beginning of the fair on Friday (again, I think it starts at 3 or 4)
3.) check in with your own CSO and introduce yourself to the two or three CSOs that are in charge
4.) go to the common area and do all the first-come, first-serve meetings
5.) hang out in the common area, continue to check the big board for updates, make yourself available if someone doesn't show up because of traffic/travel
*it goes without saying that you should have multiple copies of your resume and writing sample on hand.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 30, 2013 3:24 pm

What do you mean by first come, first serve meetings?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 30, 2013 4:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:What do you mean by first come, first serve meetings?
Anonymous User wrote:Three or four firms will have tables set up in the common area where you can sit and chat with an attorney or recruiter--this is done on a first-come, first-serve basis.
It's just an informal chat, might last 5 minutes or it might last 20 minutes. The firm will have a table with one or two representatives there and one or two chairs where candidate can sit down and talk to the representatives. Obviously, don't trample into someone else's meeting--pretty self-explanatory.

I don't even know if they're doing it this year, but I'm sure it will say something in your symplicity account or one of the emails they send you.

guyplus

New

Post by guyplus » Mon Jul 01, 2013 1:26 pm

Last edited by guyplus on Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

iceman219

New

Post by iceman219 » Tue Jul 02, 2013 3:06 pm

How common is it for non-URM to be selected for an interview and at the JF?

My career services office advised me to apply, but as a recent grad just 4-5 days from the Bar when this goes down, I don't want any surprises to my system at the JF either

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:04 pm

Schedules come out on Monday but I was perusing the website and noticed that the number of total slots has greatly decreased. Could these be the total number of people they're interviewing?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Schedules come out on Monday but I was perusing the website and noticed that the number of total slots has greatly decreased. Could these be the total number of people they're interviewing?
I was wondering the same thing..if it stays like this i might get multiple alternates I think...theres a few where there are showing 4 or 5 interview slots and I'm alternate(2) or (3) so hopefully thats a good sign

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Schedules come out on Monday but I was perusing the website and noticed that the number of total slots has greatly decreased. Could these be the total number of people they're interviewing?
I was wondering the same thing..if it stays like this i might get multiple alternates I think...theres a few where there are showing 4 or 5 interview slots and I'm alternate(2) or (3) so hopefully thats a good sign
I have one alternate position but I'm number 15 and the firm has 3 slots already. They'll only be there for 1 day so I don't think they have time for 18 interviews. Oh well, I'm happy with the ones I have.

Alternate theory: if schedules come out on Monday, than perhaps the alternate spots have already been scheduled/marked as well? You accepted an alternate spot but you could only accept 10 slots (preselect and alternate) so it's not like on Monday you can accept/deny your alternate interview. You should have it or not have it already.

(wishful thinking...)

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2013 12:16 pm

Friday, July 26, 2013
1:00 pm - Registration Desk Opens
3:00 pm - Interviews Begin
6:00 pm - Interviews End

Saturday, July 27, 2013
8:00 am - Employer/Student Registration Desk Opens
9:00 am - Interviews Begin
Noon - Lunch Break
3:00 pm - Interviews End

With this schedule the max interviews for Friday (assuming 20 mins) is 9 and 15 for Saturday (assuming 1 hour lunch break). I guess it makes sense for some firms that will only be there on Friday to only have 3-6 interviews.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

guyplus

New

Post by guyplus » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:04 pm

Last edited by guyplus on Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 11, 2013 1:08 pm

guyplus wrote:
I doubt it. If this is the case, it's really weird that a couple of really desirable firms that originally had 22 slots available now show only 2 slots. I know for a fact that another student from my TTTT accepted an interview with them in addition to me. It seems impossible that two large firms would send out 22 invitations and that the two of us would be the only ones to accept. I highly doubt that two large firms would be choosing to only interview the two of us, which makes me think that the "slots" number currently showing is more likely to be the number of alternates that will be available due to not having a 100% interview acceptance rate.

A 30 person firm I bid on originally had 22 slots and shows 14 now. It seems plausible that they would've had 14 of 22 people that got offers turn them down due to the firm shooting for exclusively T14 students. However, it seems implausible that a big firm sending out 22 offers even to TTTT students would have 20 people turn them down.
I think youre right I'm pretty sure the number of interview slots that show are the ones that people didn't accept... I got a pre select for Bryan cave and for some reason with them we were allowed to go in and scedule our interviews ourselves... When I scheduled my interview time the number of interviews went from 21 to 20 and the number went down throughout the week when people were scheduling their time frames

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 15, 2013 9:03 pm

Three of my alternates turned into interviews so with 6 total I'm pretty excited for next week

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”