What do Vault rankings mean for offices in other cities? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Plant15

New

What do Vault rankings mean for offices in other cities?

Post by Plant15 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:03 am

For example, Weil, Gotshal & Manges is ranked 6th for the NY office... what does that tell me about the DC office? Similar level of prestige? That's just an example, I'm just wondering if there's any general rule of how to compare offices in one city with another. I've noticed the Vault rankings only include one office per firm, and while most of the offices listed are for the more prestigious cities, this isn't always the case. For example, Bryan Cave (72) is listed for the Saint Louis office. What about the DC office of Bryan Cave? How "prestigious" is that?

bk1

Diamond

Re: What do Vault rankings mean for offices in other cities?

Post by bk1 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:05 am

Vault is essentially useless outside of NYC. Use other resources such as Chambers and Partners.

Samara

Gold

Post by Samara » Tue Jun 18, 2013 12:31 am

Plant15 wrote:For example, Weil, Gotshal & Manges is ranked 6th for the NY office... what does that tell me about the DC office? Similar level of prestige? That's just an example, I'm just wondering if there's any general rule of how to compare offices in one city with another. I've noticed the Vault rankings only include one office per firm, and while most of the offices listed are for the more prestigious cities, this isn't always the case. For example, Bryan Cave (72) is listed for the Saint Louis office. What about the DC office of Bryan Cave? How "prestigious" is that?
I think the office listed is the headquarters office, which may or may not be the "most prestigious" office. But like bk said, Vault is pretty useless outside of NYC. IMO, it's useless even in NYC unless you simply have no clue about what kind of law you want to practice.

LawIdiot86

Silver

Post by LawIdiot86 » Tue Jun 18, 2013 6:10 am

Find out what kind of law you want to practice or what city you want to be in. Then call some third and fourth year associates from your school in those practices or city and ask for an informational interview. While there, ask them their opinion on the lay of the land in X field or city.

itbdvorm

Gold

Post by itbdvorm » Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:00 pm

Plant15 wrote:For example, Weil, Gotshal & Manges is ranked 6th for the NY office... what does that tell me about the DC office? Similar level of prestige? That's just an example, I'm just wondering if there's any general rule of how to compare offices in one city with another. I've noticed the Vault rankings only include one office per firm, and while most of the offices listed are for the more prestigious cities, this isn't always the case. For example, Bryan Cave (72) is listed for the Saint Louis office. What about the DC office of Bryan Cave? How "prestigious" is that?
doesn't vault also rank by region?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”