Native American Status and Employment Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Native American Status and Employment

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:27 pm

Hi. Here's a little background:

-Graduated from a top 25 law school with slightly above-median grades
-Great Great Grandmother was a Cherokee Indian. I didn't use that to get into college/law school because 1) I wasn't sure if I hit the cut-off, and 2) I never went through any of the verification process because we don't have any of her records

I'm now struggling to find a job. My questions: Can i use my native american heritage in connection with my job hunt? If so, how?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Re: Native American Status and Employment

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:35 pm

There are agencies in the federal government that have an Indian hiring preference (like the Bureau of Indian affairs). However, those agencies (and anywhere that would officially give you a boost) are also going to require official enrollment. (Cherokee can especially tricky since you have to trace your ancestry to someone listed on the Dawes Roll).

Indian ancestry is also helpful for getting jobs in Indian law, but that's in part because it generally goes along with being connected to a Native community and understanding of the culture. Which, honestly, it doesn't sound like you are. Do you have any interest in/experience with anything to do with Native Americans, or are you just looking for a way to get a job? Generally you can't really pop up and say, "Hi! My great-great-grandma was Indian!" and expect anyone to care if you're not enrolled and don't have any other connection to that culture/community.

(If you do, I apologize, but your post really comes across that you don't.)

Nightrunner

Platinum

Post by Nightrunner » Fri Jun 14, 2013 2:45 pm

I mean, you would have to find an employer who (a) values Natives and/or diversity in hiring, (b) extends that value to you despite the fact that you're basically a white person with no proof of lineage or Native status whatsoever, and (c) doesn't find it odd that you have never, at any point, claimed Native status or participated in anything remotely resembling Native activities.

Also, you'd be a disingenuous ass who is cool with essentially committing ethnic fraud.*

* - that sentence is totally just my own opinion, but I bet I can defend it if you want me to.

lolwat

Silver

Post by lolwat » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:06 pm

Really? :|

Seriously though, I mean, I'm all for getting whatever advantage you can for employment, since it's such shit out there... but I bet this will hurt you more than it helps. No, no one gives a shit what your great great grandmother was, unless you actually have some connection to that...

BaiAilian2013

Silver

Post by BaiAilian2013 » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:48 pm

I think a great-great-grandparent is going to be a little distant for most people to take seriously. Think about the purpose behind these initiatives - do you honestly think you'd be adding any diversity in a meaningful sense?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:40 pm

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi. Here's a little background:

-Great Great Grandmother was a Cherokee Indian. I didn't use that to get into college/law school because 1) I wasn't sure if I hit the cut-off, and 2) I never went through any of the verification process because we don't have any of her records

I'm now struggling to find a job. My questions: Can i use my native american heritage in connection with my job hunt? If so, how?
Do you find the name of Washington's DC's NFL team offensive?
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 15, 2013 1:29 pm

Borhas wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Hi. Here's a little background:

Do you find the name of Washington's DC's NFL team offensive?
I actually find it charming.

Citizen Genet

Silver

Post by Citizen Genet » Sat Jun 15, 2013 2:32 pm

Nightrunner wrote: an employer who (a) values Natives and/or diversity in hiring, (b) extends that value to you despite the fact that you're basically a white person with no proof of lineage or Native status whatsoever, and (c) doesn't find it odd that you have never, at any point, claimed Native status or participated in anything remotely resembling Native activities.
What is HLS hiring Elizabeth Warren?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ndirish2010

Gold

Post by ndirish2010 » Sat Jun 15, 2013 4:23 pm

IBTL

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:23 pm

Nightrunner wrote:I mean, you would have to find an employer who (a) values Natives and/or diversity in hiring, (b) extends that value to you despite the fact that you're basically a white person with no proof of lineage or Native status whatsoever, and (c) doesn't find it odd that you have never, at any point, claimed Native status or participated in anything remotely resembling Native activities.

Also, you'd be a disingenuous ass who is cool with essentially committing ethnic fraud.*

* - that sentence is totally just my own opinion, but I bet I can defend it if you want me to.
OP is more Indian than Elizabeth Warren. Was she committing ethnic fraud when she used that?

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sat Jun 15, 2013 6:25 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:I mean, you would have to find an employer who (a) values Natives and/or diversity in hiring, (b) extends that value to you despite the fact that you're basically a white person with no proof of lineage or Native status whatsoever, and (c) doesn't find it odd that you have never, at any point, claimed Native status or participated in anything remotely resembling Native activities.

OP is more Indian than Elizabeth Warren. Was she committing ethnic fraud when she used that?
yea, shes a crook.

Nightrunner

Platinum

Post by Nightrunner » Sun Jun 16, 2013 12:50 am

Bildungsroman wrote:

OP is just as Indian as Elizabeth Warren. Was she committing ethnic fraud when she used that?
I fixed that.

And the answer is yes.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”