HLS around top 30% for Boston Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
PriOSkyVXS

New

HLS around top 30% for Boston

Post by PriOSkyVXS » Wed Jun 12, 2013 8:36 pm

Last edited by PriOSkyVXS on Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Re: HLS around top 30% for Boston

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:21 pm

Out of curiosity, how do you know what's top 30%?

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:32 pm

Your strategy sounds fine, although I don't know much about Boston. I was top 5-10% at a lower T14, and I split between New York and Chicago with no ties to Chicago. The Chicago firms did not like that very much, especially when they found out I was applying in New York, but the New York firms did not care. You should be able to fall back on New York if Boston doesn't bite.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 12, 2013 9:38 pm

OCS said that having 3 H's is around median. I heard that 6 H's or 5 H's with one being DS or 6 H's with one being DS + 1 LP are all around top 30%.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:03 pm

Currently at HLS and SA at one of Ropes/Wilmer/Goodwin. Grades are fine but you need to be a good interviewer for both those firms as well. During EIP a lot of people thought they could waltz into those firms b/c they take so many HLS students. That wasn't the case.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 13, 2013 9:13 am

PriOSkyVXS wrote:Hey all,

HLS 1L here. I'm at around top 30%. I'm interested in Boston transactional work involving start-ups/venture funds (I have a finance/business background).

Should I consider Ropes and WilmerHale to be reasonable firms to aim for? I have ties to Boston, but not very strong ties. Would bidding on 15 firms in Boston and 20 in NYC be a good strategy? Or should I focus more on NYC in case I strike out in Boston?

Thanks for the advice!
How much do you want start ups/venture work, and how much are you just shooting for the high vault/prestige/general corprorate practice ranked offices? Chambers has Wilmer at Band 2 and Ropes at Band 3 for startup work in Boston in their rankings (second one on the left sidebar for VC stuff), and there are a number of firms I'd preference over Ropes (and probably Wilmer, too, as Latham raided their practice a bit) for this kind of work, some of which will probably be less selective overall (not that you'll have too hard a time based on grades/resume at any Boston firm).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”