HLS 7H/3P - can I bid just SF? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

HLS 7H/3P - can I bid just SF?

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 12, 2013 4:51 pm

Just got grades back and ended up with 7H 3P. My understanding is this is roughly top 25% (does that sound right?) - if I have good ties to SF and would really prefer it over any other market, would I be secure bidding only there? The only other market I'd likely bid in is LA, but only if necessary as a safety net. Otherwise I'd love to put all my eggs in the SF basket. Does that sound reasonable in my situation?

Person1111

Bronze

Re: HLS 7H/3P - can I bid just SF?

Post by Person1111 » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:31 pm

Yeah, you're good to go on bidding SF exclusively if that's what you want. There aren't really any firms that are out of reach with 7 Hs (maybe KVN) so just start at the top and work your way down until you have 25-30 firms. Make sure to rank the few SF firms with large class sizes (MoFo is the obvious one) very high in your bid list - I ranked it 9th 2 years ago and didn't get it.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:44 pm

I'm starting next fall at one of the big firms in SF, and I think you're completely fine so long as you bid the full 15-20 of them. Already having ties + those grades from HLS and you're good to go. KVN may be a reach, but you'll probably have your choice of MoFo/Covington/Gibson/etc. Definitely bid widely throughout the city, though, including the indigenous SF firms like Farella, or Cotchett Pitre/Lieff Cabraser if you want plaintiff-side.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:50 pm

Anonymous User wrote: you'll probably have your choice of MoFo/Covington/Gibson/etc.
[OP here] This is amazing and all I had hoped to hear, if true.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 12, 2013 6:36 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote: you'll probably have your choice of MoFo/Covington/Gibson/etc.
[OP here] This is amazing and all I had hoped to hear, if true.
I know people with worse grades at HLS and SLS who got offers at 2 of those 3, along with plenty of other places in the Bay. If you bid 25 Bay Area offices, and you're a halfway competent interviewer, I'd be surprised if you wound up with fewer than 10 CBs.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 12, 2013 10:20 pm

How would bidding mostly San Francisco, with some bids in LA as well, with 5Hs/5Ps and no ties look? Assume that I'm a competent interviewer, with graduate and work experience. Muchísimas gracias in advance.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 12, 2013 11:08 pm

Totally fine. Use 30-35 bids, don't waste bids on KVN, Irell, or Munger, and bid Gibson in LA rather than in SF.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:16 am

Anonymous User wrote:Totally fine. Use 30-35 bids, don't waste bids on KVN, Irell, or Munger, and bid Gibson in LA rather than in SF.
Actually, depending on the strength of the work experience it might be worth leaving Irell and Munger in as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:01 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Totally fine. Use 30-35 bids, don't waste bids on KVN, Irell, or Munger, and bid Gibson in LA rather than in SF.
Actually, depending on the strength of the work experience it might be worth leaving Irell and Munger in as well.
(I'm the poster with 5Hs/5Ps)

Sadly it's related to my graduate work (humanities) and lasted just one year.

I'm really pleased to hear that California should be a safe bet with my grades/interviewing ability. Being in SF would be amazing--I didn't think it would be very likely from my position.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jun 13, 2013 12:06 pm

[7H/3P OP again]

I didn't mention this in my OP, but I have a highly unusual post-college experience that's certain to be brought up in my interviews, and tends to be extremely polarizing (i.e. some people I encounter are impressed by it, but lots are really put off by it, to put it mildly). Since I have that really unusual wildcard, does this mean I need to adjust my strategy to be significantly more conservative?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”