NYU bidlist 3.2 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
koalatriste

Bronze

Re: NYU bidlist 3.2

Post by koalatriste » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:08 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:update:

1 Sidley
2 Kirkland
3 Proskauer Rose
4 Skadden Arps
5 Shearman and Sterling
6 Weil
7 Linklaters
8 Schulte Roth and Zabel
9 Clifford Chance
10 Latham
11 Gibson Dunn
12 Paul Hastings
13 Cadwalader
14 Milbank Tweed
15 White and Case
16 Willkie Farr
17 Fried Frank
18 Cahill Gordon
19 Akin Gump
20 Dechert
21 Hogan Lovells
22 Hughes Hubbard
23 McDermott
24 Stroock Stroock
25 Morgan Lewis
26 Kramer Levin
27 Orrick
28 Goodwin Proctor
29 Seward & Kissel
30 Katten
31 Greenberg Traurig
32 DLA Piper
33 Allen & Overy
34 Freshfields
35 Bingham McCutcheon
36 K&L Gates
37 Simpson
38 Davis Polk
39 Chadbourne and Park
40 Cleary

Removed the Chicago firms, and I may move Cleary off. If this is too strong, should I throw on Mayer NY instead of Latham or Gibson (which is less selective?)

Simpson, Davis Polk, Cleary, Latham, Gibson, Kirkland and Skadden should come off your list yesterday. These firms all have hard grade cutoffs that you are below. They literally will take one look at your transcript and zone out for the rest of the interview. You are seriously running the risk of not getting an offer by wasting bids like this. As another poster said, you don't want to be that idiot in October without a job because you got greedy. You are not a slam dunk at any firm on your list, so you better interview at as many places as possible that you actually have a chance with. A slight increase in prestige is not worth the significant risk you are taking of being unemployed. As a former NYU student, I know plenty of people with your grades who struck out at EIW. And I don't know anyone with your grades working at Simpson, Davis Polk, Cleary, Latham, Gibson, Kirkland or Skadden. Do not make a huge financial mistake.
I could not agree with this more. NYU alum here as well.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:36 pm

koalatriste wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

1 Sidley
2 Kirkland
3 Proskauer Rose
4 Skadden Arps
5 Shearman and Sterling
6 Weil
7 Linklaters
8 Schulte Roth and Zabel
9 Clifford Chance
10 Latham
11 Gibson Dunn
12 Paul Hastings
13 Cadwalader
14 Milbank Tweed
15 White and Case
16 Willkie Farr
17 Fried Frank
18 Cahill Gordon
19 Akin Gump
20 Dechert
21 Hogan Lovells
22 Hughes Hubbard
23 McDermott
24 Stroock Stroock
25 Morgan Lewis
26 Kramer Levin
27 Orrick
28 Goodwin Proctor
29 Seward & Kissel
30 Katten
31 Greenberg Traurig
32 DLA Piper
33 Allen & Overy
34 Freshfields
35 Bingham McCutcheon
36 K&L Gates
37 Simpson
38 Davis Polk
39 Chadbourne and Park
40 Cleary

Removed the Chicago firms, and I may move Cleary off. If this is too strong, should I throw on Mayer NY instead of Latham or Gibson (which is less selective?)

Simpson, Davis Polk, Cleary, Latham, Gibson, Kirkland and Skadden should come off your list yesterday. These firms all have hard grade cutoffs that you are below. They literally will take one look at your transcript and zone out for the rest of the interview. You are seriously running the risk of not getting an offer by wasting bids like this. As another poster said, you don't want to be that idiot in October without a job because you got greedy. You are not a slam dunk at any firm on your list, so you better interview at as many places as possible that you actually have a chance with. A slight increase in prestige is not worth the significant risk you are taking of being unemployed. As a former NYU student, I know plenty of people with your grades who struck out at EIW. And I don't know anyone with your grades working at Simpson, Davis Polk, Cleary, Latham, Gibson, Kirkland or Skadden. Do not make a huge financial mistake.
Also an NYU alum and very curious what thoughts on Skadden GPA cut off might be. I have heard mixed things, and though a 3.2 is low, is it much above a 3.3? My understanding is that Skadden is not quite as grades-oriented as the others listed. I am personally interested in this bc I am thinking of trying to lateral there and my grades are above a 3.2 now, but were about a 3.2 after 1L. Thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 6:54 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
koalatriste wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

1 Sidley
2 Kirkland
3 Proskauer Rose
4 Skadden Arps
5 Shearman and Sterling
6 Weil
7 Linklaters
8 Schulte Roth and Zabel
9 Clifford Chance
10 Latham
11 Gibson Dunn
12 Paul Hastings
13 Cadwalader
14 Milbank Tweed
15 White and Case
16 Willkie Farr
17 Fried Frank
18 Cahill Gordon
19 Akin Gump
20 Dechert
21 Hogan Lovells
22 Hughes Hubbard
23 McDermott
24 Stroock Stroock
25 Morgan Lewis
26 Kramer Levin
27 Orrick
28 Goodwin Proctor
29 Seward & Kissel
30 Katten
31 Greenberg Traurig
32 DLA Piper
33 Allen & Overy
34 Freshfields
35 Bingham McCutcheon
36 K&L Gates
37 Simpson
38 Davis Polk
39 Chadbourne and Park
40 Cleary

Also an NYU alum and very curious what thoughts on Skadden GPA cut off might be. I have heard mixed things, and though a 3.2 is low, is it much above a 3.3? My understanding is that Skadden is not quite as grades-oriented as the others listed. I am personally interested in this bc I am thinking of trying to lateral there and my grades are above a 3.2 now, but were about a 3.2 after 1L. Thanks!
As a current NYU student, we were specifically asked not to share grade cutoffs, so I'll honor that. But I will say this: Skadden was listed among the top firms, with the same cutoff as, say, WLRK, Cravath, and S&C.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:38 pm

Anonymous User wrote: As a current NYU student, we were specifically asked not to share grade cutoffs, so I'll honor that. But I will say this: Skadden was listed among the top firms, with the same cutoff as, say, WLRK, Cravath, and S&C.
Don't confuse median with cutoff. They're very much not the same.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 01, 2013 8:41 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Jul 03, 2013 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 02, 2013 10:26 am

OP-

Does it really make sense to get rid of DPW and STB given that they're literally the bottom of the list and there aren't firms that might still be open at those spots?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”