OCI dilemma Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

OCI dilemma

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 08, 2013 4:48 pm

Hi all.. I'm curious as to what people can contribute..

I go to law school part time and will be a 3L in the coming semester. I will finish by the end of next year, so Fall 2014. Currently, I work at a V100 law firm full time in a major market. The firm is paying for my tuition and if I get an offer upon graduation, I will start as a 2nd year.

My question is, can/should I still go for OCI? Is it way too dangerous because the interviewers might know the people in my group? I do want to switch to a different market in the future and so by playing it safe, I would probably only apply to the different market.

Any advice? Thanks.

mr.hands

Silver

Re: OCI dilemma

Post by mr.hands » Mon Jun 10, 2013 3:51 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Hi all.. I'm curious as to what people can contribute..

I go to law school part time and will be a 3L in the coming semester. I will finish by the end of next year, so Fall 2014. Currently, I work at a V100 law firm full time in a major market. The firm is paying for my tuition and if I get an offer upon graduation, I will start as a 2nd year.

My question is, can/should I still go for OCI? Is it way too dangerous because the interviewers might know the people in my group? I do want to switch to a different market in the future and so by playing it safe, I would probably only apply to the different market.

Any advice? Thanks.
I would be very very nervous about doing this. you seem to have a solid job lined up, tuition covered, and a 2nd year bonus.

There are also very very very few jobs open to 3Ls at OCI. It's super likely that you don't get anything

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jun 10, 2013 5:46 pm

Do you want to start at this firm or would you prefer to go somewhere else?

How would you fare at OCI (class rank and school range)?

Do you have a mentor/confidant at the firm?

Anon b/c I might share my experience.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 12, 2013 12:04 pm

Thanks guys! I appreciate your replies.

I'm at a T20 and my grades are median. I honestly don't know how I would fare at OCI because of this newly added firm experience, and I transferred so I didn't really benefit from the reputation of this T20 school last year. I wouldn't mind staying with this firm but I want to relocate. I can tell you that I did not come to this school for the location. The firm does not have an office in my desired location, and I'm not sure if the firm is planning on opening one in the near future. Though it would be perfect if the firm did. I wouldn't consider that I have a mentor at this point but I do enjoy working with my coworkers and they are very willing to teach/help me with things I don't understand or haven't learned from law school.

thelawyler

Silver

Post by thelawyler » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:24 am

If the offer is solid, I say be happy with what you got a median at T20.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”