Big Law GPA gpa floors? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Big Law GPA gpa floors?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:34 pm

How do you find out the gpa floors for v100s? Assuming there's no exceptional factors at play - do firms publish a gpa floor? I'm median at T14 and don't want to waste bids on firms that will absolutely not consider me.

thesealocust

Platinum

Re: Big Law GPA gpa floors?

Post by thesealocust » Sat Jun 01, 2013 7:38 pm

Firms definitely have "floors" that it's rare to hire beneath from certain schools, but (a) they don't publish it and (b) there are always exceptions.

Your best bet is to get data from your school.

desertlaw

Silver

Post by desertlaw » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:28 pm

Anonymous User wrote:How do you find out the gpa floors for v100s? Assuming there's no exceptional factors at play - do firms publish a gpa floor? I'm median at T14 and don't want to waste bids on firms that will absolutely not consider me.
Depends on what school you're at in terms of how low your grades can get. And also depends on how much info your Career Services office will give you. There are past TLS threads about which firms are grade-picky and which aren't. There's usually a summary thread of OCI results each year that you can get some idea from. A lot of it is word-of-mouth and lots of TLS digging. Finding out things like Skadden and Davis Polk aren't THAT grade sensitive compared to a place like Covington or SullCrom or Wachtell or Gibson Dunn. It will also depend on the market you're going to. Median in NYC is different than trying to go to DC with median.

EDIT: I apparently was wrong about GDC.
Last edited by desertlaw on Sat Jun 01, 2013 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Jun 01, 2013 9:37 pm

GDC has a 3.4 GPA floor below which they will not hire from UVA. Not sure about other schools.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 02, 2013 7:55 am

Anonymous User wrote:GDC has a 3.4 GPA floor below which they will not hire from UVA. Not sure about other schools.
Sounds accurate for non-DC offices; the floor for DC is certainly higher.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

shock259

Gold

Post by shock259 » Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:34 am

Your school is the best/only resource for this. Assuming you have a decent OCI program (T14, plus a few others), then your school should have all of this data for you.

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Sun Jun 02, 2013 11:49 am

Firms tend to have different floors for the schools they recruit from because of the different curves. For instance, at a T14 the curve is much higher than it is at SMU, but large firms still come to both. So while they may not hire below, say, a 3.5 at NW or UVA (I don't know curves there, so that's a totally random number), at SMU it would be very difference since the curve is 3.0 - 3.1.

So, as others have said, your school should have all of this information.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Sun Jun 02, 2013 12:22 pm

kalvano wrote:Firms tend to have different floors for the schools they recruit from because of the different curves. For instance, at a T14 the curve is much higher than it is at SMU, but large firms still come to both. So while they may not hire below, say, a 3.5 at NW or UVA (I don't know curves there, so that's a totally random number), at SMU it would be very difference since the curve is 3.0 - 3.1.

Also because some schools are ranked far below others...

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Sun Jun 02, 2013 1:09 pm

Fresh Prince wrote:
kalvano wrote:Firms tend to have different floors for the schools they recruit from because of the different curves. For instance, at a T14 the curve is much higher than it is at SMU, but large firms still come to both. So while they may not hire below, say, a 3.5 at NW or UVA (I don't know curves there, so that's a totally random number), at SMU it would be very difference since the curve is 3.0 - 3.1.

Also because some schools are ranked far below others...
Yeah no way he knew that. Super comment. Very useful.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Jun 02, 2013 8:56 pm

Some firms are also bizarrely practice group specific. One firm I was at had a cutoff for my T14 of 3.7 for one group, 3.2 for two others, and 3.0 for a fourth. It really mattered for them as to which group you mentioned in your cover letter/screener.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”