Indicate two offices of interest in cover letter Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
mcdeeremitch

Bronze

Indicate two offices of interest in cover letter

Post by mcdeeremitch » Fri May 31, 2013 12:38 pm

Im sure this question has been asked before but is it good idea to mention two offies in completely differnt markets in your cover letter...I have strong ties to both areas and wouldnt mind working in either one but not sure if i should just stick with one in the cover letter

mr.hands

Silver

Re: Indicate two offices of interest in cover letter

Post by mr.hands » Fri May 31, 2013 12:50 pm

mcdeeremitch wrote:Im sure this question has been asked before but is it good idea to mention two offies in completely differnt markets in your cover letter...I have strong ties to both areas and wouldnt mind working in either one but not sure if i should just stick with one in the cover letter
Yeah I've heard of this being done (and i've done it myself). As long as your resume/cover letter reflect ties to those locations, it won't be unusual at all. Go for it

Lateral2013

New

Post by Lateral2013 » Fri May 31, 2013 1:21 pm

Nope, don't do it. If you are saying cover letter, I'm assuming this isn't part of OCI? Find out if the offices have separate recruiting staff for each office and if so send two separate letters and resumes.

If it's centralized recruiting, pick the market you have the strongest ties to and go that route. Unless the office in that area is much smaller than the other office, then go with the location with the largest office. In a majority of the markets firms are looking for people who really want to be in that market, I think applying in two markets really undermines that.

mcdeeremitch

Bronze

Post by mcdeeremitch » Fri May 31, 2013 1:32 pm

Lateral2013 wrote:Nope, don't do it. If you are saying cover letter, I'm assuming this isn't part of OCI? Find out if the offices have separate recruiting staff for each office and if so send two separate letters and resumes.

If it's centralized recruiting, pick the market you have the strongest ties to and go that route. Unless the office in that area is much smaller than the other office, then go with the location with the largest office. In a majority of the markets firms are looking for people who really want to be in that market, I think applying in two markets really undermines that.
Thank you! This is actually for a minority job fair that I am getting ready to submit bids for. Most of the firms I am applying to don' ask for cover letters but some do. One particular firms says in the description they are interviewing for several different offices at once. Two of which I have ties to. Does this make a difference or is it a general rule to not do it?

Also since you are a lawyer would you mind if i pm you my cover letter (ill take out the specifics) just to see if it flows well together?

Lateral2013

New

Post by Lateral2013 » Fri May 31, 2013 1:38 pm

You can't go wrong with specifying one. If it doesn't work out, submit for the other one at OCI. Specifying two might not be a deal breaker, but it might, it's so hard to tell. I'd rather err on the side of being conservative.

Sure, send your cover letter over and I'll take a quick peek.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”