Cook County ASA Class of 2013 Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Cook County ASA Class of 2013

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 23, 2013 8:23 am

This thread is for the new Assistant State's Attorneys Class of 2013 to discuss anything and everything related to the office and Chicago as a whole.

Anonymous User

Re: Cook County ASA Class of 2013

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 23, 2013 9:04 am

Hey thanks for starting this thread. I will ask my previous question again: Has anyone received their formal offer yet? Any thoughts on what section you want to start in? I am looking forward to meeting everyone.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 23, 2013 9:35 am

Anonymous User wrote:Hey thanks for starting this thread. I will ask my previous question again: Has anyone received their formal offer yet? Any thoughts on what section you want to start in? I am looking forward to meeting everyone.
I think that starting off, you either work in muni doing misdemeanors or the appeals unit, but I would love to start working in muni with the goal of making it to the special prosecutions bureau. They just enacted a street gang RICO law, so they would handle stuff like that.

As for the formal offer, I'm still waiting on it. I live in Louisiana, so I'm guessing that I will probably be one of the last people to receive it when all is said and done. Hell, I'm still waiting on the professors to finish submitting their grades, and graduation isn't until next week.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 23, 2013 11:28 am

The three divisions starting out are misdemeanors, appeals, and child support. I think I would prefer misdemeanors because you get to try cases, then appeals and child support in that order.

Here's an interesting article from a couple years ago from Chicago Lawyer Magazine:
Starting the Journey in These Offices

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 23, 2013 11:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:The three divisions starting out are misdemeanors, appeals, and child support. I think I would prefer misdemeanors because you get to try cases, then appeals and child support in that order.

Here's an interesting article from a couple years ago from Chicago Lawyer Magazine:
I read that article a few days ago. It's really good.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 23, 2013 1:54 pm

I also haven't received my paper offer. I live in VA so it might be later than local offers. Even though everyone would prefer to start in misdemeanors, I wouldn't mind starting in appeals. I did appellate work during law school, and it taught me so much about being a good lawyer. Regardless, it would only be temporary because I assume everyone rotates to a different place eventually.

Does anyone know about what kind of employment opportunities the office offers before November. I heard that there are paid law clerk positions. Does anyone know when those positions would start?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 23, 2013 3:39 pm

I am from Indiana and I also have not yet received the formal offer, but I am sure it is coming soon. Does anyone know if we rotate through all thee divisions? I did not get the impression that we rotate, but I really do not know. I want muni, however, I agree you can learn a tremendous amount form the appellate section. I have not heard anything about law clerk opportunities for September and October. Maybe the formal offers will say something about it. Good luck with bar prep. I am doing barbri and it is a lot!!!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 23, 2013 6:49 pm

Just got the paper offer but it doesn't have much information. Just says to write back to accept.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 23, 2013 7:12 pm

That is too bad. I was hoping for more information. Hopefully, mine will come tomorrow. thanks for posting.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 23, 2013 7:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just got the paper offer but it doesn't have much information. Just says to write back to accept.
Are you local, or are you in another state, if you don't mind me asking.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 23, 2013 8:04 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just got the paper offer but it doesn't have much information. Just says to write back to accept.
Are you local, or are you in another state, if you don't mind me asking.
In state. Postmarked yesterday.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 23, 2013 8:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:The three divisions starting out are misdemeanors, appeals, and child support. I think I would prefer misdemeanors because you get to try cases, then appeals and child support in that order.

I hate appellate advocacy; it's not as dangerous or sexy as a trial.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu May 23, 2013 9:29 pm

Anonymous User wrote:

Ha, not sure misdemeanors is particularly dangerous or sexy.

I'm trying not to get too married to the idea of misdemeanors. My understanding is we don't get a choice of where we get assigned, and misdemeanors takes the fewest newbies.

Appeals might be boring, but I'm sure it would be very useful down the road to have a good grasp of the law. I'm not sure what good things to say about child support...maybe it's the easiest?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

Ha, not sure misdemeanors is particularly dangerous or sexy.

I'm trying not to get too married to the idea of misdemeanors. My understanding is we don't get a choice of where we get assigned, and misdemeanors takes the fewest newbies.

Appeals might be boring, but I'm sure it would be very useful down the road to have a good grasp of the law. I'm not sure what good things to say about child support...maybe it's the easiest?
It is, and that's one area I would hate to work in; I purposely avoided all the family law courses at my law school because of a case that I saw during an appellate argument. I couldn't do that work for a long period of time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 24, 2013 12:52 pm

Anonymous User wrote:It is, and that's one area I would hate to work in; I purposely avoided all the family law courses at my law school because of a case that I saw during an appellate argument. I couldn't do that work for a long period of time.
So what happens if you get assigned there, like a good portion of us will be?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 24, 2013 1:22 pm

I think we are stuck in appeals until we get the opportunity to transfer out. I remember that one of my interviewers said she spent two years in appeals before she was able to transfer out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 24, 2013 1:45 pm

There's been a lot higher turnover lately. I think 6 mos - 1 year has been the average for first assignment. And appeals is only 1 of 3 possibilities.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 24, 2013 2:07 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:It is, and that's one area I would hate to work in; I purposely avoided all the family law courses at my law school because of a case that I saw during an appellate argument. I couldn't do that work for a long period of time.
So what happens if you get assigned there, like a good portion of us will be?
I believe that the correct course of conduct would be to throw a temper tantrum, possibly knock over a chair for effect. That should do the trick.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 24, 2013 4:50 pm

Just received my formal offer in the mail. I typed a written acceptance and mailed it as fast as possible! Unfortunately, there is very little information. By the way did everyone see the badges we get? Check it out!

http://www.stonerconnection.com/PAGE%20 ... BADGES.htm

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 24, 2013 5:11 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Just received my formal offer in the mail. I typed a written acceptance and mailed it as fast as possible! Unfortunately, there is very little information. By the way did everyone see the badges we get? Check it out!

Are you in-state?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 24, 2013 5:19 pm

Also just got my offer in the mail. In state. Basically the same info I was told over the phone, plus the addition that they sometimes offer law clerk positions after the bar but are unsure of the situation this year because of the budget.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 24, 2013 5:56 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Just received my formal offer in the mail. I typed a written acceptance and mailed it as fast as possible! Unfortunately, there is very little information. By the way did everyone see the badges we get? Check it out!

Are you in-state?
No I am not in State, but in an adjacent state.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri May 24, 2013 10:00 pm

Badges are pretty sweet!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jun 12, 2013 5:26 pm

I just got my first graded exam back from BarBri, and I feel like the grader is full of shit.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Jun 14, 2013 11:18 pm

I failed my first Barbri essay. It is total crap. I am just going to keep studying and not worry about it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”