Summer Associate: Thoughts, Anxieties, Experiences, etc. Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Re: Summer Associate: Thoughts, Anxieties, Experiences, etc.

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:31 am

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Why are you so worried you are getting no offered.
Well the stakes are pretty fucking high at this point
Obviously, but you guys seem think you have some special reason to be afraid.
You of all people should understand the pathetic and oft incomprehensible neuroses of your own kind after so many years on these message boards.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 11:36 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Why are you so worried you are getting no offered.
Well the stakes are pretty fucking high at this point
Obviously, but you guys seem think you have some special reason to be afraid.
You of all people should understand the pathetic and oft incomprehensible neuroses of your own kind after so many years on these message boards.
And TBF, TLS apsies get dinged at a far higher rate than everyone else.

Worry on my friends.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:30 pm

Not that this is in any way productive, but if my firm said 1-2 weeks. Tomorrow is the end of two weeks. Rational to be panicking a little?

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:35 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Not that this is in any way productive, but if my firm said 1-2 weeks. Tomorrow is the end of two weeks. Rational to be panicking a little?
No. They'll call the no offers when the call the offers. Delays aren't changing anything.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 08, 2013 3:38 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Not that this is in any way productive, but if my firm said 1-2 weeks. Tomorrow is the end of two weeks. Rational to be panicking a little?
No. They'll call the no offers when the call the offers. Delays aren't changing anything.
Thanks. This actually helps.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:34 am

Desert Fox wrote:
This is correct. My dad is on the hiring committee at a firm that no-offered one SA this summer (work product). They called him at the same time they called to make offers.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:37 am

My dad is on the hiring committee
must be nice

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
must be nice
Didn't work there this summer, so not particularly. :roll:

sheisrisen

New

Post by sheisrisen » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:56 am

Anonymous User wrote:
must be nice
Many firms have rules banning the hiring of employees' relatives because of people like you.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NYstate

Gold

Post by NYstate » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:07 am

sheisrisen wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
must be nice
Many firms have rules banning the hiring of employees' relatives because of people like you.
More that people might want to hire incompetent relatives. This protects the firm. Also people don't want to work with the guy whose Dad runs the firm.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 10:37 am

I got to school with a kid whos parents are both partners at the same firm his 2 brothers are associates suffice to say he rides the curve worry free.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:43 am

NYstate wrote:
sheisrisen wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
must be nice
More that people might want to hire incompetent relatives. This protects the firm. Also people don't want to work with the guy whose Dad runs the firm.
bros, the poster said they didn't work at that firm

sheisrisen

New

Post by sheisrisen » Wed Aug 14, 2013 11:48 am

Anonymous User wrote:
sheisrisen wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:
must be nice
]

bros, the poster said they didn't work at that firm
I was clearly replying to the person who made a negative comment about this kid getting an easy ride. Note the quotes in my post.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 4:25 pm

Anyone know about how long firms take to complete all of their offer calls? Fellow SA got her call about 2 hours ago and still nothing here, and close of business is rapidly approaching... :(

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:23 pm

Waiting game sucks. Still have another week or two before we are supposed to hear.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 5:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know about how long firms take to complete all of their offer calls? Fellow SA got her call about 2 hours ago and still nothing here, and close of business is rapidly approaching... :(
I was in same boat and did not get the call until the following day. I thought for sure I was getting no-offered, but it turns out the partner assigned to my call was just very busy that day.

As hard as it sounds, try to relax and remember that these calls are NOT a high priority for partners.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Aug 14, 2013 6:35 pm

Offer today in NYC after waiting 2.5 weeks-- last day was July 26.

Attorney who called apologized for the delay (unprompted) and said that people were traveling, etc. And yes we were all getting a little freaked out.

To add: we had about one associate per about 6 summers making calls, so as far as timing take that for what it's worth (which probably isn't much)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 9:32 am

Still waiting for a NYC V50. Firm has not given any offers yet. Supposedly the hiring committee is meeting soon. Program ended on July 26.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Aug 15, 2013 12:19 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Still waiting for a NYC V50. Firm has not given any offers yet. Supposedly the hiring committee is meeting soon. Program ended on July 26.
Yeah, it's crazy how varied it is firm-by-firm. I'm still waiting for my tertiary market firm to get back to me. They will get together this time next week as far as I have heard to get this all hammered out.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:00 am

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:Anyone know about how long firms take to complete all of their offer calls? Fellow SA got her call about 2 hours ago and still nothing here, and close of business is rapidly approaching... :(
I was in same boat and did not get the call until the following day. I thought for sure I was getting no-offered, but it turns out the partner assigned to my call was just very busy that day.

As hard as it sounds, try to relax and remember that these calls are NOT a high priority for partners.
For posterity's sake, OP here, and this poster was correct. Appears they just forgot about me, but they called the next day. Since they don't hold offers open for people clerking, I guess it wasn't a high priority, haha.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:45 pm

So, I am still waiting two weeks after the day that I "will hear back by at the very latest." Does anyone know if no-offers are all phone calls or if they also no-offer via snail mail? I was told I had nothing to worry about and even got an unofficial offer. Everyone in my summer class has heard, but I have not in my satellite office. The hiring committee scheduled a meeting last Thursday to make a decision, but still no news. I wonder how long this stuff takes or if someone went out of town/got real busy. I wish people would communicate better.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:55 pm

Anonymous User wrote:So, I am still waiting two weeks after the day that I "will hear back by at the very latest." Does anyone know if no-offers are all phone calls or if they also no-offer via snail mail? I was told I had nothing to worry about and even got an unofficial offer. Everyone in my summer class has heard, but I have not in my satellite office. The hiring committee scheduled a meeting last Thursday to make a decision, but still no news. I wonder how long this stuff takes or if someone went out of town/got real busy. I wish people would communicate better.
Were you the only summer in your office?

I'm going on week 4 now too....this sucks

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 9:06 pm

I've also been waiting several weeks to hear back.

I haven't sent anything out to any firms to this point. Is the consensus that it's worth mass mailing just to cover my bases?
Last edited by Anonymous User on Mon Aug 19, 2013 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:16 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:So, I am still waiting two weeks after the day that I "will hear back by at the very latest." Does anyone know if no-offers are all phone calls or if they also no-offer via snail mail? I was told I had nothing to worry about and even got an unofficial offer. Everyone in my summer class has heard, but I have not in my satellite office. The hiring committee scheduled a meeting last Thursday to make a decision, but still no news. I wonder how long this stuff takes or if someone went out of town/got real busy. I wish people would communicate better.
Were you the only summer in your office?

I'm going on week 4 now too....this sucks
Yes. I was the only one in my office, but there were tons nation-wide.

I feel your pain. Especially, if they gave you an estimate and they are now a couple weeks late on that. Here's hoping something just came up and it's no biggie. We'll be okay. Were you the only summer in your office too?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 20, 2013 3:53 am

I "mass" mailed to about 30 firms in my home market. I've gotten a slew of rejections and nothing positive. This turned me off to mass mailing while I wait. But I'm up to 3.5 weeks of waiting here. Firm said we'd hear before labor day.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Legal Employment”