How/when should I follow up with this firm? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

How/when should I follow up with this firm?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Apr 12, 2013 12:20 pm

I had a second interview for a SA position with a mid sized firm that I would absolutely LOVE to work at exactly 3 weeks and 1 day ago, with a time frame of about 2-3 weeks given for a decision. Naturally, I want to follow up. Usually, I would just send an email to the partner who organizes the summer program.

I'd like to know whether it would be a better idea to call the partner, and when I should follow up. Keep in mind the following factors.

1. The partner seems to really like it when people show initiative (hence my desire to call). I only got my first and second interview because I followed up each time, and he specifically thanked me for following up.
2. He seems to be really informal, although somewhat intense (if that makes any sense).
3. I've had a good deal of contact with him (probably 10 emails back and forth, a phone call, and an interview).
4. I dont take the not getting back to me within the time frame as a lack of interest... the guy always seems really busy and every time I followed up he was always like, oh I'm really sorry I haven't gotten back to you, I was swamped with work, lets set up an interview.

Thanks for the feedback!

Anonymous User

Re: How/when should I follow up with this firm?

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:47 pm

Bump?

thelawyler

Silver

Post by thelawyler » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:51 pm

Wouldn't hurt to follow up if he likes the initiative.

Antrim

Silver

Post by Antrim » Sat Apr 13, 2013 12:52 pm

You miss 100% of the shots you don't take

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:06 pm

These kinds of follow ups have very close to a 0% chance of helping. While it probably won't hurt, from their perspective they'll deal with you when they can and persistence on your part won't help anything. They're busy, they've got other people to candidates to meet/review, etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:08 pm

OP here. What are your thoughts on calling vs. emailing.

TaipeiMort

Silver

Post by TaipeiMort » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:10 pm

The general rule is business is two weeks. However, law firms differ a bit from large corporations, who usually have layers of red tape to push through and indeterminate hiring schedules. I wouldn't apply this in the law firm context, as it usually means that you've been waitlisted, and following up probably won't help or hurt you.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:11 pm

Don't call the partner for a follow-up. You probably won't get him when you call because his secretary will screen you (not because you're you, but because partners have a billion better things to do) and you'll play an awkward and prolonged game of phone tag that will at the end of the day just show that you want them more than they want you (which isn't the best feeling to convey in any aspect of life).

If you want a status update, call the recruiter. They will know the status of the partner's evaluation and will be able to follow-up internally for it (and with a better chance of success), shielding you from the back and forth.

In general, unless you're so close with an attorney at the firm that you can plausibly call them a "connection," the recruiting team should be the middle-person between every contact initiated by you to the firm. That's what they're hired to do.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:17 pm

To the above commenter... normally I would definitely do that but unfortunately there is no recruiting contact that I am aware of (the firm has about 40 lawyers, so its definitely strange that they dont). This partner is the one who organizes the summer program and is the one that I have been in contact with throughout the whole process. Based on the comments I think an email would probably be the most appropriate thing to do.

Old Gregg

Platinum

Post by Old Gregg » Sat Apr 13, 2013 1:20 pm

Anonymous User wrote:To the above commenter... normally I would definitely do that but unfortunately there is no recruiting contact that I am aware of (the firm has about 40 lawyers, so its definitely strange that they dont). This partner is the one who organizes the summer program and is the one that I have been in contact with throughout the whole process. Based on the comments I think an email would probably be the most appropriate thing to do.
Yes, then email is the way to go. If you really want to "talk" to the partner, emailing and asking if he has time to chat is the best way to go. Never, ever call an attorney out of the blue unless you're a colleague. Always schedule in advance.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”