Jumping to a different firm after a post-grad clerkship Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
blowpop99

New

Jumping to a different firm after a post-grad clerkship

Post by blowpop99 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 5:54 pm

Does anyone in the TLSmosphere have experience jumping to a different firm than the one they summered with after a post-grad clerkship? I summered in Chicago, but will be clerking in San Francisco (where my firm has the tiniest office with no practice groups that appeal to me). Thus, I think that I want to end up at a new firm in the city where I'll be clerking.

What's the process of finding a new firm after I'm done clerking? I know that my judge prohibits me from interviewing until a particular point in time (I think April-ish) and with firms that have matters before my judge. I have no connections to the city. Do I "network" with professionals during my clerkship year, or massmail once my judge greenlights, or do firms proactively reach out to clerks?

I know that there are plusses and minuses (one big minus-risk is that my summer firm finds out about my scheming and gives me the book). Does anyone (who has actually gone through this process) have any experiences they care to share? You can PM me if you wish.

Thanks.

Borg

Bronze

Re: Jumping to a different firm after a post-grad clerkship

Post by Borg » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:09 pm

If you're smart enough to clerk, you should be smart enough to be quiet about your search. Assuming you're at an Article III job, you should have plenty of interest from other firms in April or whenever the judge allows you to submit resumes. I'm not sure what the formal process is, but I'd think you just send resumes out to firms you're interested in after the date passes.

blowpop99

New

Post by blowpop99 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:26 pm

Borg wrote:If you're smart enough to clerk, you should be smart enough to be quiet about your search. Assuming you're at an Article III job, you should have plenty of interest from other firms in April or whenever the judge allows you to submit resumes. I'm not sure what the formal process is, but I'd think you just send resumes out to firms you're interested in after the date passes.
I'm trying to determine what "formal process[es]" and informal processes people have successfully used in the past given that there's no OCI and firms generally know class capacity after giving offers for that particular summer.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:30 pm

You might want to check out the clerkship forum, too - there's some helpful discussion in the job search thread there.

blowpop99

New

Post by blowpop99 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:34 pm

cool stuff, thanks.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”