Renege on accepted offer to accept a more attracting offer?
Posted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 4:08 pm
In a secondary market: Accepted an offer last week at a small size (< 5 attys) firm doing mostly transactional matters for businesses. After I was offered the position but before I accepted the offer, I had an interview scheduled at a mid-size firm doing all different types of litigation in a far more alluring location (still within this secondary market) and better prospects overall. I couldn't extend the offer period for much longer so I ended up accepting it and went ahead to the scheduled interview at the mid-size. Was offered at the mid-size firm and now in a pickle as to what to do. A huge problem here is the fact that I applied to the small size firm posting through our school's Symplicity, and I'd imagine that not only would I be burning bridges with the small size if I reneged on the accepted offer, but with our career development office as well.
Any insight on what is the best decision here? I would much rather work at this mid-size and the summer experience/pay between the two firms doesn't even compare at all and do not mind burning bridges with this small size in order to do so but if it's not the correct "professional" decision to make, then I'd have to reconsider. I'm at a "tier 1" though I've got federal judicial internships and LR, my grades are average as hell. And again, this is like a pretty insular secondary market.
Any insight on what is the best decision here? I would much rather work at this mid-size and the summer experience/pay between the two firms doesn't even compare at all and do not mind burning bridges with this small size in order to do so but if it's not the correct "professional" decision to make, then I'd have to reconsider. I'm at a "tier 1" though I've got federal judicial internships and LR, my grades are average as hell. And again, this is like a pretty insular secondary market.