"No one cares what you did 1L summer." Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Gold

Re: "No one cares what you did 1L summer."

Post by 005618502 » Wed Mar 27, 2013 1:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I did a summer internship at Google 1L. I expected the red carpets to roll out for me, but at the end of the day this is only 1 piece of the puzzle. Yes, it helped me articulate an interest in media / entertainment, and cemented my interest in IP.

But at the end of the day, the prestige only went so far - I would have done better with a stronger GPA and main journal than w/ Google on my resume. What really matters is how you talk about the experience and relate it to your own resume.
What was this experience like? Did you enjoy it? Did most of the attorneys come from previously working in biglaw?

Shammis

Bronze

Post by Shammis » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:22 pm

Interviewed with a boutique and was hired, in main part, b/c of my work experience. Was sweating bullets until yesterday, when I copped that 2L SA. For OCI, most people don't care as long as it is law related. After OCI, my experience has been that employers get a lot more practice-specific when looking at W/E. HTH

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:27 pm

Shammis wrote:Interviewed with a boutique and was hired, in main part, b/c of my work experience. Was sweating bullets until yesterday, when I copped that 2L SA. For OCI, most people don't care as long as it is law related. After OCI, my experience has been that employers get a lot more practice-specific when looking at W/E. HTH
Wow, you got a 2L SA yesterday? Impressive.

Shammis

Bronze

Post by Shammis » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:32 pm

Pokemon wrote:2L SA yesterday?
at a boutique so not technically BigLaw, but yes and it's in the area of law I went to law school to practice in. And now I couldn't be fucking happier. W/E is important, but I hustled the hell out of this job and networked, at least in part, my way in. Shit works.

txdude45

Silver

Post by txdude45 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:37 pm

Anonymous User wrote:I did a summer internship at Google 1L. I expected the red carpets to roll out for me, but at the end of the day this is only 1 piece of the puzzle. Yes, it helped me articulate an interest in media / entertainment, and cemented my interest in IP.

But at the end of the day, the prestige only went so far - I would have done better with a stronger GPA and main journal than w/ Google on my resume. What really matters is how you talk about the experience and relate it to your own resume.
could this person PM me? I have questions about Google!
Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”