4 years of clerking frowned upon by firms? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

4 years of clerking frowned upon by firms?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:29 pm

Currently working a 2 year federal district court clerkship. Judge offered an additional 2 years which would max out allowable 4 yr limit for term clerks. Just curious as to how bigger firms would view 4 years of clerking? How much marketability does this add, if any? Heard rumor of someone being written off as "lazy" by bigger firms with whom he/she interviewed. TIA

Objection

Silver

Re: 4 years of clerking frowned upon by firms?

Post by Objection » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:41 pm

I can't imagine it would hurt, as long as you understand you're not likely to get 4 years of credit or 4 years of bonuses.

Maybe someone else knows better.

That aside, clerking is a fantastic job and opportunity, and from what people say, you'll never have a better legal job in your life. If you like it, enjoy it while you can.

You will have exit opportunities regardless.

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Mon Mar 18, 2013 3:58 pm

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:48 am

Shit man. You do four years as a term clerk, and you might have the opportunity to go career with someone. Easy livin' from then on.

Alexandria

Silver

Post by Alexandria » Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:54 am

I think, honestly, you might have a little trouble, simply because 5th year associates are senior associates or near-senior associates. At my firm, that's when you get your "message" about your prospects for making partner and the things you need to work on. But maybe you'd find firms are willing to hire you at a lower class year.

I think district + circuit + SCOTUS, or even district + circuit + another "more prestigious" circuit would be more attractive than 4 years with one district court judge.

I did know a guy who came in as a 4th or 5th year after doing JAG (he had summered at my firm during law school, so there was a relationship there already), and he found it pretty difficult, because associates as senior as he was were simply expected to know a lot more than he did. I suppose private practice and JAG are very different. He ended up moving into a great job in the federal government after a couple years.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Objection

Silver

Post by Objection » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:01 am

Well he probably wouldn't get full credit for his clerkship. I do think, however, firms would be VERY open to the idea of him coming in as a second or third year.

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:39 am

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:37 am, edited 3 times in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:50 am

Thanks to all who responded. It's definitely something to think about.

Under the rules, you can only serve as a term clerk in district and circuit courts for a total of four years. However, I don't believe it applies to SCOTUS.

I'm currently applying for circuit clerkships. In the event I do not receive an offer, my judge offered me an additional two years. Not a bad situation to be in, just curious as to what firms think. Regardless, I definitely would not expect to start as a fifth year associate with fifth year salary, bonuses, etc.

Myself

Silver

Post by Myself » Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:59 am

Last edited by Myself on Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:50 pm

Does it add marketability? Not really, no. Does it hurt? I doubt it, as long as you don't expect 4 years of credit.

I think it honestly just comes down to whether you like clerking and want to keep going. It sounds like you do, so I say go for it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”