Work-Study / Field Placements - Adverse Long-Term Effects? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Work-Study / Field Placements - Adverse Long-Term Effects?

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 17, 2013 5:42 pm

Will a field placement in Europe adversely affect my career down the road?
and/or will a field placement in government in my target market help much / would be better later in going into government if I want out of biglaw?

- WHY FP ABROAD: I studied in France in UG, and I thought it would be nice to work in Paris for my 3L Fall semester at a non-profit or government department. I have long-term goals of going in-house at a fashion company or developing a fashion-related book of business. I thought maybe establishing some law-related ties to this fashion capitol might help somehow, and if anything it would just be awesome to work abroad for 5 months. NOTE: NYC is out of the picture right now (been there, done that).

- I'll be working at a Vault-ranked firm this summer as a summer associate. The firm has a significant international presence (AmLaw Swiss Verein). The office I'll be working at doesn't really do anything related to international law, but maybe having some ties could get me cross-staffed on some matters in Paris? I know that's a stretch.

- WHY GOVERNMENT FP in TARGET MARKET: I have no government legal experience, have not externed for a judge either. Maybe having some additional experience in a government office in my target market will help significantly if I decide I want out of biglaw earlier than expected? Or at least keeping the government door open?

- WORRIES: I'm concerned if I lateral or interview for government / in-house jobs they'll question why I went abroad. I have mediocre grades at a T10 and don't want the field placement to close doors if that's what will happen.

Thanks in advance! Sorry if I'm being too vague.

Return to “Legal Employment”