Bad grades & phone interview. -Feedback greatly appreciated! Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Bad grades & phone interview. -Feedback greatly appreciated!

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:42 pm

Hi TLS.

Jeez it's been awhile since I last frequent this site. Anyway, Im back on here in hopes of receiving some sound advice regarding the following:

As the title states, I just finished my first semester and didnt do well. I wont bore you with the details as to why I did poorly but sth along the lines of what everyone claims - family, stress, illness.. etc. My first semester I completed three courses but only received a grade in two (third course was Pass/Fail). I didnt do very well on the ones that were graded (B and B-) and that left me with a GPA below my schools curve. -sigh- :cry: Ive started applying for summer jobs and received a call from a corporate firm looking to hire an intern, "an intern", as in UNO! Quite competitive. This company is well know and Im sure theyre interviewing several ppl. Im so grateful I was even contacted and know that was solely attributed to resume. Anyway, I was freaking out during the call and cant say I articulated myself properly nor sounded impressive. At the end of the call the recruiter ask I send him a copy of my transcripts. ... DUm. DUm. DUuuuum. Panic set in. Of course Im going to send it but I would like advice on how I should proceed? Should I provide some sort of explanation in the email I send him? --e.g. " My grades aren't where I expected them to be. However, when I went back and compared my essays to the model essay, I noticed a few areas where I was leaving points on the table. blah blah blah" and explain how next semester grades ought to be better?

Im not sure if this is premature? I mean, am I highlighting the negative before I even get a chance to have to defend my poor grades? I know that's typically handled during an actual (in person) interview but I fear if I dont provide an explanation, Ill may never hear back from them. :( The recruiter said to send the transcripts so the hiring attorney may review.

Thoughts pleaseeee?

Thanks ahead of time!!

thesealocust

Platinum

Re: Bad grades & phone interview. -Feedback greatly appreciated!

Post by thesealocust » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:46 pm

Never mention grades. Ever. They're boring, speak for themselves, and just distract from selling yourself.

BullShitWithBravado

Bronze

Post by BullShitWithBravado » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:50 pm

thesealocust wrote:Never mention grades. Ever. They're boring, speak for themselves, and just distract from selling yourself.
If you get the interview, be prepared to answer the question: "Are your grades an accurate representation of your abilities?" Obviously, you should say "No because of X, Y, Z."

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:52 pm

I got an LP at HLS. One interviewer asked about it. I said I just didn't do my best work.

Got an offer.

Only explain them if they ask, and even then, don't make excuses.

That being said...you tanked in law school, you tanked in law interviews...maybe bail before it's too late.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 15, 2013 11:57 pm

Thanks but what if I dont even make it that far? Say I dont mention anything so nothing is relayed over to the hiring attorney and once that attorney views my grades, well, s/he may be like meh, over it. That's my concern. My resume is pretty solid but that first semester is bringing me down. I just feel as this point those transcripts will make/break my chances of being asked to come in for an interview.

It does also seem odd though to compose some brief explanation on (poor) test performance in an email to the recruiter. Idk.

Are two bad grades that bad guys/girls? B and B-. I mean I still have 5 courses left to redeem myself. Thoughts on this?

Thanks again!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Void

Silver

Post by Void » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:22 am

Send the transcript and just hope it goes over well. If they dont like your grades, there is nothing you can say in a weird addendum that will help you. It will just come across as desperate and maybe creepy. Your grades are what they are, and you just have to send them and hope for the best.

Don't worry too much about it. First semester grades dont mean much by the time you're done with school, and hopefully the folks at this company just want to make sure you're passing/in good standing. Like I said, if they're looking for top-of-the-class grades, there's nothing you can do to spin yours to their liking anyway.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 16, 2013 1:56 am

Void wrote:Send the transcript and just hope it goes over well. If they dont like your grades, there is nothing you can say in a weird addendum that will help you. It will just come across as desperate and maybe creepy. Your grades are what they are, and you just have to send them and hope for the best.

Don't worry too much about it. First semester grades dont mean much by the time you're done with school, and hopefully the folks at this company just want to make sure you're passing/in good standing. Like I said, if they're looking for top-of-the-class grades, there's nothing you can do to spin yours to their liking anyway.
Youre absolutely right. Thank you, everyone. Although I cant change my crummy first semester grades, your reply provide me with some solace moving forward.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”