need some advice Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

need some advice

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 13, 2013 3:51 pm

Ok, need some advice. Just outside 15% of my 15-30 school, no ties to school's market. Worked 1L at a local large company in the industry that I'm pretty committed to (president of the relevant law club, previous work experience, etc). Struck out at OCI, in part due to lack of ties and at least once due to my interest area (also, I'm pretty sure my interviewing skills are average...not bad, but not great). Been scrambling for a job but no luck, but today I got a call from my previous employer asking if I wanted to come back this summer (apparently they really liked me). I'm pretty sure I won't get a permanent offer, but it's paid and in my industry. I took the job, and my boss told me to continue looking for other jobs, and that if anything better came up, take it with his blessing.

So my question is, if on the off chance I get a job with the fed. government or a small law firm, would that position me better for a permanent offer somewhere?

Gold

Re: need some advice

Post by 005618502 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 4:02 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Ok, need some advice. Just outside 15% of my 15-30 school, no ties to school's market. Worked 1L at a local large company in the industry that I'm pretty committed to (president of the relevant law club, previous work experience, etc). Struck out at OCI, in part due to lack of ties and at least once due to my interest area (also, I'm pretty sure my interviewing skills are average...not bad, but not great). Been scrambling for a job but no luck, but today I got a call from my previous employer asking if I wanted to come back this summer (apparently they really liked me). I'm pretty sure I won't get a permanent offer, but it's paid and in my industry. I took the job, and my boss told me to continue looking for other jobs, and that if anything better came up, take it with his blessing.

So my question is, if on the off chance I get a job with the fed. government or a small law firm, would that position me better for a permanent offer somewhere?
So you are asking if going somewhere that will likely give you a permanent offer is better (for getting a permanent offer) than a place that you wont give a permanent offer. Are you kidding me.... yes if you get something at a small law firm or the gov take that since you said the other place wont lead to employment...

okinawa

Bronze

Re: need some advice

Post by okinawa » Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:21 pm

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”