Taking an entry level patent agent / analyst position? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Taking an entry level patent agent / analyst position?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:23 pm

2012 lower T-14 grad, with 3.15 GPA. EE background. Wasn't able to get a full-time patent prosecution attorney position. Currently doing PI work back home. Will take the patent bar later this spring. Thinking about expanding my search to include entry level patent agent jobs just to get prosecution experience. How would future employers (say two years from now) view that? There are arguments for both sides: On one hand I get experience in a somewhat reduced stress environment, but it might be seen as a negative signal or red flag (similar to "contract attorney"?) on the resume. Thoughts?

DildaMan

Bronze

Re: Taking an entry level patent agent / analyst position?

Post by DildaMan » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:41 pm

You might try working as a patent examiner a the USPTO. It probably would be a better credential than just a run of the mill patent agent.

Agent

Bronze

Post by Agent » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:43 pm

Sorry to hear about your situation.

I think an entry level patent agent / analyst position will lead to better options than PI work back home (wherever that is), and I would not compare it to contract attorney work. FWIW (which is not much), I have seen a law grad start out at a patent agent (with a JD) and later become an associate at the same firm.

If you're unsure of how you ended up in this situation and would like to kick around some ideas about networking and the job hunt, please feel free to shoot me a PM. Good luck.

Agent

Bronze

Post by Agent » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:47 pm

I won't dispute this. But I expect that OP can land a gig as an associate without getting sidetracked by a temporary move to Alexandria. (I assume that all Training Academy activities still occur there.)
DildaMan wrote:You might try working as a patent examiner a the USPTO. It probably would be a better credential than just a run of the mill patent agent.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Mar 13, 2013 5:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:2012 lower T-14 grad, with 3.15 GPA. EE background. Wasn't able to get a full-time patent prosecution attorney position. Currently doing PI work back home. Will take the patent bar later this spring. Thinking about expanding my search to include entry level patent agent jobs just to get prosecution experience. How would future employers (say two years from now) view that? There are arguments for both sides: On one hand I get experience in a somewhat reduced stress environment, but it might be seen as a negative signal or red flag (similar to "contract attorney"?) on the resume. Thoughts?
Agent is better than PI in your position. Also do take the test as you plan. In this the worse that will happen in the long run is that the longer you stay an agent, the least likely you are to ever litigate, I think. Even that may not be true, since a ton of PTO examiners transition into lit positions after law school.

But I must ask, I know your GPA isn't great, but how did you strike out with an EE background at a T14? I don't mean to make you feel worse, but techies with average grades from lower ranked schools like mine (to say nothing of EEs) generally do OK, and a few get biglaw.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”