Deadline Conflict with Firm for 1L SA-Doomed for 2L SA? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Deadline Conflict with Firm for 1L SA-Doomed for 2L SA?

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:14 am

I had a CB with a firm I really liked for a 1L SA. Obviously this is just my perception, but I thought the CB went really well and I had a good shot at getting the offer. However, I had another offer from a gov agency that would not give me an extension to hear back from the firm. The firm knew about this deadline and called me to say they weren't ready to give me an answer one way or the other. I took the gov agency job. The firm said they understood that I couldn't roll the dice and wait on them. They said they would look forward to interviewing me again in the fall. Was that just niceties or is that legit? Am I persona non grata there now because I wouldn't wait on them? Any insights or perspectives would be appreciated.

Lincoln

Silver

Re: Deadline Conflict with Firm for 1L SA-Doomed for 2L SA?

Post by Lincoln » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:27 am

It's highly unlikely they would ding you because of that. They likely mean what they say and look forward to getting another shot at working with you.

piccolittle

Silver

Post by piccolittle » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:28 am

Anonymous User wrote:I had a CB with a firm I really liked for a 1L SA. Obviously this is just my perception, but I thought the CB went really well and I had a good shot at getting the offer. However, I had another offer from a gov agency that would not give me an extension to hear back from the firm. The firm knew about this deadline and called me to say they weren't ready to give me an answer one way or the other. I took the gov agency job. The firm said they understood that I couldn't roll the dice and wait on them. They said they would look forward to interviewing me again in the fall. Was that just niceties or is that legit? Am I persona non grata there now because I wouldn't wait on them? Any insights or perspectives would be appreciated.
No, you're not doomed - if they were hoping to give you an offer you're probably in an even better position with them than most of your classmates. These things happen all the time.

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:31 am

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:36 am

Jsa725 wrote:Wait... You told the firm you took gov job? I would have accepted gov job and waited to see if firm offered .... If the firm offered, I would have weighed the pros and cons of retracting my acceptance with gov. Why shut the door ITE?
Wow, some ethics you have! I'm not saying I wouldn't do the same thing but I'd at least have the decency to not promote the line of thinking to my law school brethern. Moar jobs for me :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jsa725

Gold

Post by Jsa725 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:45 am

Last edited by Jsa725 on Fri Oct 24, 2014 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Icculus

Silver

Post by Icculus » Mon Mar 11, 2013 11:45 am

Anonymous User wrote:I had a CB with a firm I really liked for a 1L SA. Obviously this is just my perception, but I thought the CB went really well and I had a good shot at getting the offer. However, I had another offer from a gov agency that would not give me an extension to hear back from the firm. The firm knew about this deadline and called me to say they weren't ready to give me an answer one way or the other. I took the gov agency job. The firm said they understood that I couldn't roll the dice and wait on them. They said they would look forward to interviewing me again in the fall. Was that just niceties or is that legit? Am I persona non grata there now because I wouldn't wait on them? Any insights or perspectives would be appreciated.
They won't care. Also, this:
Jsa725 wrote:Wait... You told the firm you took gov job? I would have accepted gov job and waited to see if firm offered .... If the firm offered, I would have weighed the pros and cons of retracting my acceptance with gov. Why shut the door ITE?

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:02 pm

This x infinity.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”