US Attorney's Office or District Attorney's Office Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
newyork47

New

US Attorney's Office or District Attorney's Office

Post by newyork47 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:35 pm

NY/ Eastern District. Received offers from both.
Which should I do?
I am not sure if I want to work in the public sector or the private sector upon graduation.
Thank you in advance TLS posters.

newyork47

New

Re: US Attorney's Office or District Attorney's Office

Post by newyork47 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:44 pm

This is for a 1L summer internship.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:45 pm

Other options? Can you split summers and work for both?

I'd give the tie to USAO, but that's a personal thing. If you're gunning for a prosecutor position, the experience at the DA's office might be key to building relationships necessary to find full-time work down the road.

newyork47

New

Post by newyork47 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:54 pm

patrickd139 wrote:Other options? Can you split summers and work for both?

I'd give the tie to USAO, but that's a personal thing. If you're gunning for a prosecutor position, the experience at the DA's office might be key to building relationships necessary to find full-time work down the road.
Thank you. No I can't split summers, it is one or the other. My other options are in couple public interest organizations and one accounting firm. Again, I am not sure if I want to go into prosecution in the future. Without contest these two are my best options. But I am having a difficult time choosing. I may potentially work at a firm in the future. Which of these may be more attractive to a future employer?

thunderflesh

New

Post by thunderflesh » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:01 pm

They're both great ways to spend a 1L summer, and they'll both look good on your resume.

USAO's function more like law firms (as compared to DA's offices), especially in larger cities. Each attorney has fewer cases, some of which will go on for years, and they might even be civil cases; thus, you can get a really broad range of experience. I believe that 90% or more of the attorneys at EDNY come from firms, too, so I bet it's a good way to make connections to NY Biglaw. I'm sure you're aware of this, but USAOs--especially in big cities--don't typically hire new graduates.

DANY is a lot narrower in terms of what it does (obvi), but if you're set on being an ADA after school, it's almost certainly the better choice. Though it is worth mentioning that 2L interns get to interview for ADA positions at the end of their summer; I'm not sure whether 1L interns are afforded the same opportunity (i.e. an early interview at the end of next summer). I would talk to someone who did DANY their first summer to find out. Also, DANY actually hires new graduates.

TL;DR
USAO is better if you think you'll end up at a firm your 2L summer (and if you're vacillating, you probably will). DANY is better if you're dead set on prosecution. Both are great internships.

newyork47

New

Post by newyork47 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 11:14 pm

thunderflesh wrote:They're both great ways to spend a 1L summer, and they'll both look good on your resume.

USAO's function more like law firms (as compared to DA's offices), especially in larger cities. Each attorney has fewer cases, some of which will go on for years, and they might even be civil cases; thus, you can get a really broad range of experience. I believe that 90% or more of the attorneys at EDNY come from firms, too, so I bet it's a good way to make connections to NY Biglaw. I'm sure you're aware of this, but USAOs--especially in big cities--don't typically hire new graduates.

DANY is a lot narrower in terms of what it does (obvi), but if you're set on being an ADA after school, it's almost certainly the better choice. Though it is worth mentioning that 2L interns get to interview for ADA positions at the end of their summer; I'm not sure whether 1L interns are afforded the same opportunity (i.e. an early interview at the end of next summer). I would talk to someone who did DANY their first summer to find out. Also, DANY actually hires new graduates.

TL;DR
USAO is better if you think you'll end up at a firm your 2L summer (and if you're vacillating, you probably will). DANY is better if you're dead set on prosecution. Both are great internships.
Thank you for the clarification

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”