2L Worried About BigLaw Assignments Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
TLSNYC

Silver

2L Worried About BigLaw Assignments

Post by TLSNYC » Tue Mar 05, 2013 2:20 pm

Have an SA lined up for this summer w/ big law firm in NYC. Recently started reading up on what the litigation department does and am a little bit worried/freaked out. Some of the causes of actions and factual descriptions of cases confuse the heck out of me. I've taken corporations but struggle a bit with grasping some of the concepts. Am I right to be worried or am I overreacting? As a first year associate (I'm not as worried about the summer since I feel the bar is lower), will there be some hand holding if you don't understand some complex litigation surrounding hardcore financial transactions or whatever? I realize this probably varies by firm, but just looking for general reflections.

Anonymous User

Re: 2L Worried About BigLaw Assignments

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Mar 05, 2013 3:21 pm

Last edited by Anonymous User on Wed Mar 06, 2013 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

BeenDidThat

Silver

Post by BeenDidThat » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:53 pm

TLSNYC wrote:Have an SA lined up for this summer w/ big law firm in NYC. Recently started reading up on what the litigation department does and am a little bit worried/freaked out. Some of the causes of actions and factual descriptions of cases confuse the heck out of me. I've taken corporations but struggle a bit with grasping some of the concepts. Am I right to be worried or am I overreacting? As a first year associate (I'm not as worried about the summer since I feel the bar is lower), will there be some hand holding if you don't understand some complex litigation surrounding hardcore financial transactions or whatever? I realize this probably varies by firm, but just looking for general reflections.
They won't hold your hand, but they also know you're not going to be an expert in everything straight out of law school. You need to be able to do research in order to understand things that you don't already understand. No partner is going to sit there for two hours describing the contours of the law surrounding, say, minority shareholder oppression, but they will make sure you know the key things that start you down the road of researching/understanding/analyzing/transmitting the knowledge or arguments you need to transmit.

Most everyone with good grades in law school has the brains to do the work, but has little knowledge of the practice of law. You just need to understand your role in the organization in which you are working and take responsibility for your work. It's not simple stuff; it's mentally taxing. But you can do it if you commit to working hard and don't have an attitude.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Tue Mar 05, 2013 5:09 pm

Use secondary sources to learn the general law surrounding the issue.

SA assignments are like 2/3 babywork, and 1/3 fishing expedition that nobody expects you to find anything.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”