What Should I Be Looking for in a 2L internship? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

What Should I Be Looking for in a 2L internship?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:56 pm

I'm talking about internships during the 2L school year, not 2L summer. Assuming I'm only interested in PI/gov't work and go to a T50, should I:

1) Realistically expect to be paid?
2) Work at an organization I'll get experience with but am not actually interested in working with after graduation?
3) Work both semesters or is not working one semester okay? Does it matter if I work at different places the 2L fall and spring semesters?

Also, how many people generally work during their 2L year? Thank you.
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

badaboom61

Bronze

Re: Taking a 2L Internship at a Place I Won't Work At?

Post by badaboom61 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:12 pm

You say you can't work at this place due to financial constraints - do you have something lined up already that pays better? If so, why would they care if do a public interest internship part time?

Anonymous User

Re: Taking a 2L Internship at a Place I Won't Work At?

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:23 pm

badaboom61 wrote:You say you can't work at this place due to financial constraints - do you have something lined up already that pays better? If so, why would they care if do a public interest internship part time?
OP here:

Sorry, I edited my OP after you posted. But, no I don't have anything lined up after graduation. I'm not worried that any place I'd work for after graduation would care about me working with a PI place during my 2L year. I'm just wondering if working at a place during my 2L year that I couldn't actually work for would be counter-intuitive. Basically, should I be using my 2L year to work only at a place I would realistically seek employment at?

keg411

Platinum

Re: What Should I Be Looking for in a 2L internship?

Post by keg411 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:23 pm

You should be looking for one of two things (preferably both, but that's not easy):
1) Somewhere that will hire you after law school
2) The practice area you are interested in working in after law school

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:36 pm

keg411 wrote:You should be looking for one of two things (preferably both, but that's not easy):
OP here

Thanks. Any thoughts on the likelihood of being paid during your 2L school year internships if you're doing PI gov't work? Or should expecting that get you laughed right out the door?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:44 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
keg411 wrote:You should be looking for one of two things (preferably both, but that's not easy):
OP here

Thanks. Any thoughts on the likelihood of being paid during your 2L school year internships if you're doing PI gov't work? Or should expecting that get you laughed right out the door?
I doubt most gov't/PI jobs pay students; and don't expect to be paid unless the position advertises it (or is with a private firm as opposed to PI/gov't). You can probably get school credit, though.

badaboom61

Bronze

Post by badaboom61 » Fri Mar 01, 2013 3:17 am

Anonymous User wrote:
OP here

Don't expect to get paid for PI or government work. Small firms often hire law students part time and pay in the $10 - $15 range, but this is highly dependent on firm and if they need additional help at the time.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:03 pm

There are some outside funding sources for PI: equal justice america, for one, and probably a half dozen others, usually practice-area specific. So that's another avenue.

You can also work as a research assistant for one semester (paid) and do an internship the other semester (unpaid). You'll get experience at both and both are valuable in different ways, but it keeps you from getting no money for a whole school year. Some people RA and intern during the same semester but that's a lot harder during 2L than during 3L and very dependent on having a professor who is flexible + less heavy courseload. More possible if you get credit for internships, because then you're replacing a class.

JenDarby

Diamond

Post by JenDarby » Fri Mar 01, 2013 7:14 pm

Fordham's Symplicity has listed many paid spring internships at smaller firms and organizations. I imagine yours does as well. I am doing an externship right now, which is in the field I want to practice and I get credits for it. Personally, this benefits me more than the amount of money I would likely make working full time.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”