Best Interview Time Slot Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
tsk123

New

Best Interview Time Slot

Post by tsk123 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:29 pm

Hi. I have googled this question but I figured I'd try to get some opinions from fellow/past law students:

What do you think is the best time slot for an interview and why? First, last/ if you have to be in the middle--closer to first/last?

gdane

Diamond

Re: Best Interview Time Slot

Post by gdane » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:37 pm

The concepts of primacy and recency say that people are most likely to remember what they hear first and last. So, logically you should be one of the first or last interviewers. But, the problem with being last is that if the interviewer has spent the entire day seeing people he/she may be tired by the time he/she gets to you and thus won't quite be into it.

If the interviewer will be seeing a lot of people, be one of the first. If the interviewer will not be seeing many people, be last.

Good luck.

KidStuddi

Bronze

Post by KidStuddi » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:38 pm

Ridiculous question, but I did once hear about a study somewhere showing that judges were more likely to give lighter sentences after lunch. It was a pretty significant difference too. So maybe go for that slot?

fluffythepenguin

New

Post by fluffythepenguin » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:50 pm

Go either first thing in the morning, or immediately after lunch, if possible. After a while, decision fatigue sets in, and the default decision is to not give someone an offer, as opposed to giving them an offer.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/21/magaz ... d=all&_r=0

tsk123

New

Post by tsk123 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 1:54 pm

Thanks.

My dilemma is that for OCI I have 2 (maybe 3 interviews) in one morning. I scheduled the first time slot for one of them and then had to be 3rd (out of 6) for the second because I wasn't sure if being 6th (11:40am-noon interview time) would hurt me since I would be last and right before lunch.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

the lantern

Bronze

Post by the lantern » Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:43 pm

When offered the chance, I choose to go first and as early as possible in the morning. I want to go first so that the interviewer is comparing every single person to me. I like to go as early as possible to show the interviewer that I can get up early and get myself all super fresh first thing in the morning. I'm not sure how important that is because pretty much anyone who can complete law school can get themselves out of bed, but it feels right.

kryptix

Bronze

Post by kryptix » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:05 pm

If it goes well though you want the one before a break or lunch or the last one of the day so you can have a longer conversation.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:50 pm

KidStuddi wrote:Ridiculous question, but I did once hear about a study somewhere showing that judges were more likely to give lighter sentences after lunch. It was a pretty significant difference too. So maybe go for that slot?
Unintended consequence of having an interview after lunch: realizing I had salad dressing on my tie the entire time. No CB.

PMan99

Bronze

Post by PMan99 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:03 pm

Go early.

If you are the first borderline person they see in the day, they'll be more inclined to put you through. If you're the 4th and you were just after two superstars, it's not likely to happen.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jml8756

Bronze

Post by jml8756 » Tue Feb 26, 2013 9:57 pm

If you're banking on your time slot to be what puts you over the top, I think you're doing it wrong.

Rootbeer

New

Post by Rootbeer » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:43 pm

I feel like the wide majority of my best interviews occurred in the morning. I did have one fantastic interview late in the afternoon, but I was the only one that day...and I also didn't get the position, though I'm pretty sure it was for other reasons.

Anyway...yeah...I think morning is the way to go, just from my experience.

DildaMan

Bronze

Post by DildaMan » Tue Feb 26, 2013 10:54 pm

Rootbeer wrote:
I feel like the wide majority of my best interviews occurred in the morning. I did have one fantastic interview late in the afternoon, but I was the only one that day...and I also didn't get the position, though I'm pretty sure it was for other reasons.

Anyway...yeah...I think morning is the way to go, just from my experience.
Agreed. Some slot in the morning seems to work the best. The post lunch interviewers ( if they didn't get swapped ) seemed less energetic/enthusiastic.

Renzo

Gold

Post by Renzo » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:21 pm

1. If you can be first or last, do it

2. If you can't, but can be first after lunch, do that

3. If not, go as early in the day as possible.

4. If at all possible, don't be in the middle of the afternoon pack. Your interviewer will be bored and sleepy, and you will not be memorable.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

TTRansfer

Gold

Post by TTRansfer » Tue Feb 26, 2013 11:42 pm

1. I don't like being first or last.

2. Do not go right before their lunch break. That is the single worst time to go as the interviewer will be looking to get out the door.

3. Don't just be randomly in there somewhere. Try and be there 2nd or 3rd or 2nd or 3rd to last.

tsk123

New

Post by tsk123 » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:30 am

Thanks for the help
jml8756 wrote:If you're banking on your time slot to be what puts you over the top, I think you're doing it wrong.
Didn't say it could put me over the top, but I did think the timing of my interview is something that could help me--even if its marginally.

Thanks for the tips, guys. It confirms a lot for me and I'll be scheduling as early as possible. Most of the OCI interviews I received are all before noon with the last slot ending at noon. I was worried about being right before lunch and after 5-6 people but I managed to get slots in the AM. :)

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Wed Feb 27, 2013 9:34 am

I would choose an interview slot based entirely on when you, personally, will feel most comfortable and therefore interview best. I've seen hiring managers say that time slot really doesn't matter - if you're a good candidate you'll look good in whatever slot, and if you're not such a great candidate, the "right" time slot isn't going to make up for that.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”