are judges vindictive Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

are judges vindictive

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:42 pm

If i turned down a judge for a summer internship even though he thought i accepted, like he didnt give me an option to say no, a few days after my interview, will this kill any chance of getting a clerkship with other federal judges in 2 years?

ETA : i never met the actual judge just met his clerks who seemed nice
Last edited by Anonymous User on Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RodneyBoonfield

Bronze

Re: are judges vindictave

Post by RodneyBoonfield » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:48 pm

Grayte kwestshin

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:48 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If i turned down a judge for a summer internship even though he thought i accepted, like he didnt give me an option to say know, a few days after my interview, will this kill any chance of getting a clerkship with other federal judges in 2 years?

Your inability to distinguish 'know' from 'no' will likely be a larger obstacle to your clerkship aspirations.

As for the substance of your question: it depends on the judge. I can't imagine most judges would even remember who the hell you are, much less care to remember enough about you to affirmatively try and fuck you over.

That said, if you gave me enough time, I could probably imagine a scenario shrouded with paranoia where that might happen.
Last edited by patrickd139 on Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:49 pm

Vindictive.

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:49 pm

rad lulz wrote:Vindictive.
This, too.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Re: are judges vindictive

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:53 pm

Anonymous User wrote:If i turned down a judge for a summer internship even though he thought i accepted, like he didnt give me an option to say no, a few days after my interview, will this kill any chance of getting a clerkship with other federal judges in 2 years?

spelling fixed.

what if the clerk who I emailed to rescind my acceptance hasn't answered me yet (i emailed her yesterday)

patrickd139

Gold

Post by patrickd139 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:03 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:If i turned down a judge for a summer internship even though he thought i accepted, like he didnt give me an option to say no, a few days after my interview, will this kill any chance of getting a clerkship with other federal judges in 2 years?

spelling fixed.

what if the clerk who I emailed to rescind my acceptance hasn't answered me yet (i emailed her yesterday)
I don't see how this changes your question at all. For the record, I think you're paranoia is getting the best of you here. Though turning a judge down for an externship is always a bad idea, I don't see how this can't work out amicably as long as you're not a total dick.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:12 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

spelling fixed.

I don't see how this changes your question at all. For the record, I think you're paranoia is getting the best of you here. Though turning a judge down for an externship is always a bad idea, I don't see how this can't work out amicably as long as you're not a total dick.

i wasnt i explained my situation, how i didnt think i would actually get the other offer apologized and expressed how grateful i was for the opportunity.

Ok so ill stop worrying and go back to reading thanks!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:11 pm

I interviewed with a Judge my 1L year, I never heard definitively yes or no and ended up accepting a firm job. He now instructs a class I am in with 8 other students. He had NO CLUE who I was.

You are not important enough that he gives a fuck. Carry on.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

BelugaWhale

Bronze

Post by BelugaWhale » Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:16 pm

patrickd139 wrote:
Anonymous User wrote:

spelling fixed.

i really dont get this, its not a clerkship and many judges specifcally dont even hire their interns as clerks.

OP, imho, not a big deal to turn down any judicial "xxxxx-ship" as long as the first part isnt clerk.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:02 pm

thanks everyone for assuaging my fears!

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:07 pm

judges have mad vendetta when it comes to the chedda.

so you are fine because you are working for free

Pokemon

Gold

Post by Pokemon » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:23 pm

Just do not tell career services. They will probably try to make a big deal out of this...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

adonai

Silver

Post by adonai » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:25 pm

In 2 years, the clerks you interviewed with will have moved on and be swamped in biglawl. Judge is and forever will be busy enough to not give a damn about you, much less remember one kid he met only once and interviewed (and since you rejected him, didn't even hire) out of the 50+ externs he probably will have interviewed throughout those two years. Hell, I worked for a fed judge who didn't even remember my name at the END of the internship.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:36 pm

I think the judge I'll be working for this summer is strange in the sense I never met the clerks, even though they were in the office when I interviewed. I only interviewed with the judge.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”