RA and Law Clerk position over 1L Summer Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Work as an RA, in addition to law clerk?

Poll ended at Tue Feb 26, 2013 6:11 pm

Yes
30%
No
70%

Total votes: 10

Anonymous User

RA and Law Clerk position over 1L Summer

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2013 6:11 pm

I have a paid position as a law clerk for a small, local firm this (1L) summer. They said it'll be strict 40 hours, no more no less. Would it be worth it to work part-time as a Research Assistant (RA) over summer as well? Or should I focus on 2L OCIs & networking? I'm fine with working over 40 hours and really just looking for the best experience that will help me get a 2L SA. I'm also not opposed to the extra cash.

Thanks.

Anonymous User

Re: RA and Law Clerk position over 1L Summer

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:00 pm

I don't think an RA position is going to give you any boost for 2L SA. All about grades/journal. RA's usually only pay min wage anyways.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:11 pm

Might be a good way to get a recommendation letter if you want to apply for clerkships...

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 19, 2013 10:23 pm

Anonymous User wrote:Might be a good way to get a recommendation letter if you want to apply for clerkships...

This. If you want to apply for clerkships then it's worth it. If not, then there is almost no reason to do it.

I RA'd 1L summer on top of an SA and am certainly glad I did now that I am applying for clerkships. And the firm was well over 40/hrs per week. Then again, I doubt the RA job had any impact on my 2L OCI so, again, if you don't care about clerking, don't do it.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Tue Feb 19, 2013 11:15 pm

Absofuckinglutely not. Under any circumstances. RA over the semester if you really feel gunnery.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”