Is there any benefit of being a CPA in Big Law? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Is there any benefit of being a CPA in Big Law?

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:24 am

The title kind of says it all. I am wondering if its worth it at all to take the CPA (certified public accountant) before starting law school in August. I see how it might help in some M&A, etc., but then again they might just value legal experience in M&A just as much.

Anyone have any insights into any value of CPAs in big laws?

Rootbeer

New

Re: Is there any benefit of being a CPA in Big Law?

Post by Rootbeer » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:53 am

I don't have any real insight, but I know if I were a CPA I wouldn't have bothered with law school.

ManOfTheMinute

Gold

Post by ManOfTheMinute » Tue Feb 19, 2013 2:58 am

Rootbeer wrote:I don't have any real insight, but I know if I were a CPA I wouldn't have bothered with law school.
Hahaha yeah, accounting is thrilling

kalvano

Diamond

Post by kalvano » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:11 am

There are two firms on my Symplicity right now that want certified CPA's or people with prior tax / wealth management experience. So I don't think it will hurt, but it can certainly help.

Rootbeer

New

Post by Rootbeer » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:27 am

Hey now...I find accounting every bit as sexy and thrilling as M&A, Trusts & Estates, and S-Corps...who wouldn't? :P

Sarcasm aside...if you actually find those subjects exciting, bully for you. But, from my general "I have to plod my way through law school if I want to be a trial lawyer" perspective, if I'm going to be doing something I find incredibly boring either way, I'd rather work as a CPA. The job prospects appear more stable, accountants make good money, and becoming a CPA won't put you into megadebt.

I say if you're in a position to be a CPA, just take the test and appreciate the invaluable gift God gave you of being able to tolerate accounting. Heck, seeing if you can work as one for a while before you take the plunge could be a good idea. Just my possibly misinformed thoughts...

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Tue Feb 19, 2013 3:33 am

This forum is not for 0Ls. Read the stickies before posting.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Legal Employment”