POLL: Best place for NYC SA housing Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.

Best NYC SA housing

Queens (Astoria, Long Island City, etc.)
9%
Brooklyn
25%
South of Houston St. (SoHo, Tribeca, etc.)
3%
South of 14th (East/West Village)
6%
Midtown West (Clinton, Hell's Kitchen, Chelsea)
9%
Midtown East (Turtle Bay etc.)
3%
Upper West Side
9%
Upper East Side
6%
Harlem or farther North
13%
Jersey (Hoboken, etc.)
16%

Total votes: 32

WhirledWorld

Bronze

POLL: Best place for NYC SA housing

Post by WhirledWorld » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:17 pm

Assume one person with debt with an SA in Midtown.

I had to leave some places off the list, so write in other options.

Also feel free to suggest Student Housing/Craigslist/etc.
Last edited by WhirledWorld on Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

plenipotentiary

Silver

Re: POLL: Best place for NYC SA housing

Post by plenipotentiary » Fri Feb 15, 2013 4:50 pm

WhirledWorld wrote:Assume one person with debt with an SA in Midtown.
Not enough information.

WhirledWorld

Bronze

Post by WhirledWorld » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:02 pm

plenipotentiary wrote:
WhirledWorld wrote:Assume one person with debt with an SA in Midtown.
Not enough information.
I wanted the poll to be generally useful. So say an anticipated $100k of debt, looking for a studio or 1-bedroom (but willing to share a multi-bedroom).

kryptix

Bronze

Post by kryptix » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:29 pm

Remember that tax is ~5% lower if you live in Jersey.

aces

Bronze

Post by aces » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:33 pm

Play around with the calculator located in the sidebar of this article: http://nymag.com/realestate/neighborhoods/2010/65374/

If your priority is cheap and convenient, I'd look into LIC. Astoria is a bit farther but cheaper. If nightlife/restaurants are more important to you, I'd go with the East Village/LES. Brooklyn is similar to LIC/Astoria, but Prospect Heights/Gowanus is far away from Midtown and Williamsburg can be a little insufferable (plus the L is awful). I'd rule out UES/UWS (too residential/stuffy for someone in their mid-20s) and Midtown (expensive). West Village is like the East Village but more expensive. The Jersey commute is less than ideal and the cost advantages are less appealing if you're just there a summer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

okinawa

Bronze

Post by okinawa » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:53 pm

Last edited by okinawa on Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

WhirledWorld

Bronze

Post by WhirledWorld » Fri Feb 15, 2013 6:16 pm

kryptix wrote:Remember that tax is ~5% lower if you live in Jersey.
Aren't most non-residents exempt from NYC tax? Or is that NY State tax?

dixiecupdrinking

Gold

Post by dixiecupdrinking » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:39 pm

I don't personally think living in Manhattan is even preferable to living in Brooklyn or Astoria, even without considering the cost, but a lot of people want that experience, especially when they're just in NYC for 10 weeks. If you do, then I'd say East Village is probably your best bet.

Part of the issue with outer boroughs (particularly Brooklyn) is that craigslist and similar ads frequently stretch neighborhood definitions, so you might end up in a less fun, convenient, or safe area than advertised. If you don't have someone to help who you trust and who knows the city, it might be best to stick to Manhattan for that reason.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:42 pm

It depends on exactly where you're working, but UWS/Midtown East

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:44 pm

If you're working in midtown, living in Brooklyn is dumb. That's a crazy long commute.

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Fri Feb 15, 2013 9:49 pm

paratactical wrote:If you're working in midtown, living in Brooklyn is dumb. That's a crazy long commute.
I lived in Brooklyn while working in NYC and it took 25 minutes from where I lived to Grand Central. Not particularly onerous.

JamMasterJ

Platinum

Post by JamMasterJ » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:52 pm

stillwater wrote:
paratactical wrote:If you're working in midtown, living in Brooklyn is dumb. That's a crazy long commute.
I lived in Brooklyn while working in NYC and it took 25 minutes from where I lived to Grand Central. Not particularly onerous.
yeah, it all depends on where in midtown and where in BK. I think the places with a reasonable commute are as expensive as something in the UWS for the most part.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:59 pm

okinawa wrote:It's only a summer so I wouldn't bother with the longer commute from Jersey or the crazy expensive Tribeca, Chelsea, etc options. NYU student housing is fine if the dates work. If you can sublet in Astoria or LIC go for it, but don't get deep into Queens. Harlem-ish area is okay if you stick to where Columbia students live, though UWS/UES tend to be more boring.

I disagree that Brooklyn is too far of a commute, though. If you're near the Atlantic Terminal or Jay Street, you can get to midtown in 30 minutes easy, though depending on the line some people might say 40 minutes is a more consistent/conservative bet. Depends on the line--if your firm is near a B stop, you can jump on an express train near DeKalb and it's quite a short commute. Plus that area has bars, restaurants, movie theatres, and is safe to walk around.
Brooklyn v. Hoboken/Jersey City is basically an identical commute to Midtown (slightly shorter or longer depending on where in Midtown the office is/where in Brooklyn you're talking about), so this advice is a little inconsistent. That said, the tax difference is small when you're an SA--it's a much bigger deal once you're an Associate--so that reasoning alone is not enough reason otherwise.

Definitely don't waste your money on Tribeca, Soho, Chelsea or the Central/West Village. Most expensive neighborhoods in the city and totally not worth it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cranberry

Bronze

Post by cranberry » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:02 pm

The 92nd street Y has nice student housing for the summer too.

http://www.92y.org/Uptown/92YResidence- ... using.aspx

okinawa

Bronze

Post by okinawa » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:52 pm

Last edited by okinawa on Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:17 am

I worked at DPW/STB and lived in Cobble Hill over the summer. It was a great decision IMO. Walked to the 4 at Borough Hill—didn't take that long at all.

WhirledWorld

Bronze

Post by WhirledWorld » Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:22 pm

I'm surprised Manhattan isn't getting more votes. Also surprised Harlem has so many votes. I guess I thought Midtown or the Village were the most common choices.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:16 pm

stillwater wrote:
That has got to be an optimal timing and not actually include walking to/from the subway or waiting for a train.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:33 pm

WhirledWorld wrote:
kryptix wrote:Remember that tax is ~5% lower if you live in Jersey.
Aren't most non-residents exempt from NYC tax? Or is that NY State tax?
No. Without going into detail, you're effectively paying the higher rate, which is NY state + city

stillwater

Gold

Post by stillwater » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:40 pm

paratactical wrote:
stillwater wrote:
That has got to be an optimal timing and not actually include walking to/from the subway or waiting for a train.
That was consistent door to door. Granted I worked across the street from Grand Central. But during rush hour things worked well toward getting there in a timely fashion. Off-hours, yea, the trip would probably be longer because of less train traffic. My only point is it is doable from certain areas of Brooklyn. Other areas of Brooklyn will be unreasonable but if you live on the first couple stops in, it can be like coming from certain points in Manhattan.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:46 pm

WhirledWorld wrote:I'm surprised Manhattan isn't getting more votes. Also surprised Harlem has so many votes. I guess I thought Midtown or the Village were the most common choices.
Where do you think Harlem is?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:47 pm

WhirledWorld wrote:I'm surprised Manhattan isn't getting more votes. Also surprised Harlem has so many votes. I guess I thought Midtown or the Village were the most common choices.
None of us have any money.

dingbat

Gold

Post by dingbat » Sat Feb 16, 2013 3:48 pm

paratactical wrote:
None of us have any money.
:cry:

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:16 pm

Since it's just for your SA, either live in the NYU dorms or one of the other housing temporary housing options available that have been discussed (or try to find a CLS/NYU/Fordham/etc. student that is subletting). Don't worry too much about the location until you're an actual associate, since it's not that easy to find a sublet wherever you want.

uvabro

Bronze

Post by uvabro » Sat Feb 16, 2013 6:54 pm

it depends where in harlem. harlem is huge. also the east side of harlem isn't that nice. the west side is fine and also has a planet fitness. imo it's worth the extra 100/month to do low 100s on the west side between the two. it's a much more convenient place to live.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”