Thank you email to 1L OCI interviewers? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Thank you email to 1L OCI interviewers?

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 15, 2013 2:53 pm

Should I send a quick thank you email to the screening interviewers? Our career manual says not to, but its also directed more and 2Ls, and says to do it after a callback interview, but since we don't do those as 1Ls, the screening interview is the final one. Kinda thinking I should...?

Edit: they also didn't give me cards/contact info and said they would get back to me. Don't know if thats indicative of anything or not.

holdencaulfield

Bronze

Re: Thank you email to 1L OCI interviewers?

Post by holdencaulfield » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:00 pm

I wouldn't.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:52 pm

holdencaulfield wrote:I wouldn't.
Ok. The more I think about it the worse of an idea it seems, the interviews were only 20 minutes... don't think I will at this point.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:12 pm

Anonymous User wrote:
holdencaulfield wrote:I wouldn't.
Ok. The more I think about it the worse of an idea it seems, the interviews were only 20 minutes... don't think I will at this point.
I talked to my screener interviewer on the phone for more than 45 minutes and she really liked me. So I sent a thank you e-mail to her. I guess it depends on how you feel about your conversation with your interviewer.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:24 pm

I've sent thank you emails to all my interviewers so far. I kept them very short and tried to work in something that was unique to each interview.

Almost all of them sent short responses back and sounded really pleased.

I think CSO's caution against it b/c they've heard horror stories of kids messing up and having typos or sounding really contrived. Depending on what type of interviewer/writer you are, it could help a tiny bit and could potentially hurt a lot. So definitely more risk than reward, but if you're fairly certain you are the type of person who has almost 0 risk associated w/ writing them, they can probably leave a small positive impression.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

rinkrat19

Diamond

Post by rinkrat19 » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:27 pm

People here are sending hand-written thank-yous to screeners.

fishy

New

Post by fishy » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:36 pm

I had an interviewer tell me at end of an interview that I wouldn't hear back for two weeks. I sent a thank you email the day after and got an email back within the hour offering me the position. It wasn't an OCI, but I can't help thinking it helped in my case. I think it really depends on the situation/interviewer.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Fri Feb 15, 2013 10:23 pm

Absolutely not necessary. Obviously you can send it if you want, but interviewers are busy and they're not expecting it and it doesn't really add anything.
fishy wrote:I had an interviewer tell me at end of an interview that I wouldn't hear back for two weeks. I sent a thank you email the day after and got an email back within the hour offering me the position. It wasn't an OCI, but I can't help thinking it helped in my case. I think it really depends on the situation/interviewer.
Post hoc ergo propter hoc.

fishy

New

Post by fishy » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:32 pm

thesealocust wrote:Absolutely not necessary. Obviously you can send it if you want, but interviewers are busy and they're not expecting it and it doesn't really add anything.
fishy wrote:I had an interviewer tell me at end of an interview that I wouldn't hear back for two weeks. I sent a thank you email the day after and got an email back within the hour offering me the position. It wasn't an OCI, but I can't help thinking it helped in my case. I think it really depends on the situation/interviewer.
Right, because I said the offer was because of the thank you. I was just adding a data point to say there probably isn't one right answer all the time. I agree it probably has a negligible effect overall.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Agent

Bronze

Post by Agent » Sat Feb 16, 2013 11:30 am

TCR
Anonymous User wrote:I've sent thank you emails to all my interviewers so far. I kept them very short and tried to work in something that was unique to each interview.

Almost all of them sent short responses back and sounded really pleased.

I think CSO's caution against it b/c they've heard horror stories of kids messing up and having typos or sounding really contrived. Depending on what type of interviewer/writer you are, it could help a tiny bit and could potentially hurt a lot. So definitely more risk than reward, but if you're fairly certain you are the type of person who has almost 0 risk associated w/ writing them, they can probably leave a small positive impression.

UnamSanctam

Platinum

Post by UnamSanctam » Sat Feb 16, 2013 2:00 pm

fishy wrote:
thesealocust wrote:Absolutely not necessary. Obviously you can send it if you want, but interviewers are busy and they're not expecting it and it doesn't really add anything.
Right, because I said the offer was because of the thank you. I was just adding a data point to say there probably isn't one right answer all the time. I agree it probably has a negligible effect overall.
Then why even say:
It wasn't an OCI, but I can't help thinking it helped in my case.
Because if you think it has a negligible effect overall then there's not really a point for you "but it helped me" shtick.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:37 am

I sent thank you e-mails, make sure they are not generic work in something from the interview. If interviewed by more than one person at a firm, make sure to not send identical thank yous, personalize them. I recieved positive responses, not sure if they will help long term but they certainly do not hurt.

Hutz_and_Goodman

Gold

Post by Hutz_and_Goodman » Sun Feb 17, 2013 12:23 pm

Every one of my OCIs I was the first or second person interviewed (early morning slot), and then I sent a thank you email to the partner at the end of the day, making it personalized if possible. I'm not sure whether it worked or not. The first one I got no response, but then a callback two days later. Most of the others I received a follow up email, but these interviews were all within the last 7-10 days, and no one I've talked to has gotten a callback (and the firms all designated the week of 18th as when we'd hear).

I'd agree with the above, that if you are a poor writer, or are prone to making typos/crafting an awkward email, then I wouldn't do it. You definitely want to write the email in such a way that it does not require a response, but that they can respond if they want to (don't follow up with a specific question; you want it to be pleasant and ideally bring up something that you connected on during the interview).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”