LA Superior Court Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

LA Superior Court

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:14 pm

Is a clerkship at LA Superior Court (trial court) worth it? I was really hoping for SC or Fed but I ended up getting this. My judge seems very distinguished. Some of the judge's recognition include CA State Bar President and "Top 100 Lawyers" by LA Law for two years in a row.

I should also mention that I am a floundering 1L.

Anonymous User

Re: LA Superior Court

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:20 pm

I'm not sure if they're worth it, but it beats not having anything at all. When did you hear back from them?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:23 pm

I heard back on Friday. I am not sure if I will have anything else this summer. There is a study abroad program that I was very interested in but I don't have any legal work experience on my resume. I meet with the judge this Friday. There is a sliver of a chance that I could get a higher level court judge but because I'm looking into the Southern California area, spots are competitive and I would risk not having a clerkship at all if I rejected this judge and waited for another.

rad lulz

Platinum

Post by rad lulz » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:25 pm

You're a 1L. Just do something legal. Also this is an internship, not a clerkship. HTH.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:30 pm

rad lulz wrote:You're a 1L. Just do something legal. Also this is an internship, not a clerkship. HTH.
You're right. Sorry. This is an internship. So, just do it because it is legal? I am pretty disappointed that my summer will consist of small-claims.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Feb 10, 2013 8:33 pm

I agree with above, take it and run. Also, don't call it a clerkship, you'll freak out all the 3Ls waiting on their clerkship apps. :wink: I, for example, just went to check on the status of my clerkship application with that same court thinking I'd finally see some movement.

bk1

Diamond

Post by bk1 » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:34 am

Anonymous User wrote:
rad lulz wrote:You're a 1L. Just do something legal. Also this is an internship, not a clerkship. HTH.
You're right. Sorry. This is an internship. So, just do it because it is legal? I am pretty disappointed that my summer will consist of small-claims.
Thread moved to appropriate forum. Please keep the internship threads out of the clerkship forum.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:51 am

The benefit to a trial-level internship is that you should get to observe a lot of court proceedings, which can be informative and at the least give you some info about what kinds of work you do/don't find interesting. It also should give you plenty to talk about in a 2L interview. (FWIW, I'm sure the judge is very distinguished, but I don't think the local "Top 100 Lawyers" ranking things really mean much. They're usually just marketing.)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”