Bird in the hand (1L summer)? Forum

(On Campus Interviews, Summer Associate positions, Firm Reviews, Tips, ...)
Forum rules
Anonymous Posting

Anonymous posting is only appropriate when you are revealing sensitive employment related information about a firm, job, etc. You may anonymously respond on topic to these threads. Unacceptable uses include: harassing another user, joking around, testing the feature, or other things that are more appropriate in the lounge.

Failure to follow these rules will get you outed, warned, or banned.
Anonymous User

Bird in the hand (1L summer)?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 05, 2013 1:16 am

At what point in the hiring season would it be smart to take an offer you have, rather than turning it down and hoping that one of your more preferred options comes through? I have an offer for a PI organization that expires two weeks from now, but I have a bunch of applications still open and a decent number of interviews in the next two weeks, none of which will likely be decided by that deadline. Obviously, if I turned down the PI organization, I'd keep applying for more jobs rather than just waiting on the current interviews, but are there still enough jobs available that I'd probably be able to find something still? T14, top 1/4.

Anonymous User

Re: Bird in the hand (1L summer)?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:11 am

is worth two in the bush.

You should accept near the deadline.

Lasers

Gold

Post by Lasers » Tue Feb 05, 2013 4:22 am

Anonymous User wrote:At what point in the hiring season would it be smart to take an offer you have, rather than turning it down and hoping that one of your more preferred options comes through? I have an offer for a PI organization that expires two weeks from now, but I have a bunch of applications still open and a decent number of interviews in the next two weeks, none of which will likely be decided by that deadline. Obviously, if I turned down the PI organization, I'd keep applying for more jobs rather than just waiting on the current interviews, but are there still enough jobs available that I'd probably be able to find something still? T14, top 1/4.
depends how good the jobs are that you will be interviewing for.

if they are paid job, or even firm jobs/1L SA's, i would hold out past the deadline. if they are unpaid but look marginally "better" on your resume, then i'd probably not waste time prolonging the 1L job search.

thegrayman

Silver

Post by thegrayman » Tue Feb 05, 2013 12:45 pm

If all are unpaid, hold out until deadline and then take offer if nothing better comes around.

If you're holding out for paid positions, that is a judgment call on your part based on how likely you think they are to come around.

I would personally take the offer and get back to hitting the books. I promise you that what you do 1L summer pales in comparison to your grades (which I'm sure you're sick of hearing by now, but it's true :lol: )

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Post Reply Post Anonymous Reply  

Return to “Legal Employment”